Pedro Beato Rumors
The Indians have been busy recently, with the recent signings of Jason Kipnis, Yan Gomes and Michael Brantley to long-term deals. They still haven't signed Justin Masterson, but if they don't sign Masterson, "it won't be for a lack of effort," GM Chris Antonetti says in a video interview with Cleveland.com's Chris Fedor and Dan Labbe. The Kipnis, Gomes and Brantley deals will have no impact on their ability to sign Masterson, Antonetti says. Antonetti also notes that the Indians' approach this offseason compared to their previous one, in which they grabbed headlines with splashy signings of Michael Bourn and Nick Swisher, was based on need. "We felt we had more answers, internally, this offseason," he says. Here are more notes from around the big leagues.
- Pedro Beato's health and experience in the big leagues were the keys to the Braves claiming him off waivers, and the decision was not much more complicated than that, David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes. "In talking to (general manager) Frank (Wren) and talking to (assistant GM) Bruce (Manno), I think anytime a pitcher becomes available through a waiver or options — I’m sure 29 teams are doing the same thing — if you get a chance to get them, get them," manager Fredi Gonzalez says.
- The Giants recently lost outfielder Roger Kieschnick off waivers to the Diamondbacks, and Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News notes that losses like these usually lead to questions about why Angel Villalona is still on the Giants' 40-man roster. Villalona hit sparingly at Double-A Richmond last year. The issue, though, is that he still has options remaining and is perceived as having upside, so if the Giants were to expose him to waivers, a team could claim him and stash him in the minors.
The Braves have claimed reliever Pedro Beato off of waivers from the Reds, tweets David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Beato will go right onto the team's active roster in time for Friday's game, O'Brien adds (Twitter links), with another reliever likely to be optioned to create space.
Beato, a 6'6" righty, threw last year in the Red Sox organization. He allowed only four earned runs in ten big league frames, but spent most of the year at Triple-A, where he posted a 2.98 ERA over 51 1/3 innings. The 27-year-old saw his most extensive MLB action in 2011with the Mets, when he registered a 4.30 ERA in 67 innings.
The Reds have designated pitcher Pedro Beato for assignment, C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. They also placed third baseman Jack Hannahan and pitcher Brett Marshall on the 60-day disabled list. The three moves cleared roster space to add pitcher Trevor Bell, outfielder Roger Bernadina and infielder Ramon Santiago.
Beato, 27, pitched ten innings for the Red Sox last year. The reliever spent much of the season in Triple-A Pawtucket, where he posted a 2.98 ERA with 7.9 K/9 and 4.2 BB/9 in 51 1/3 innings. The Reds claimed him last fall.
The Reds announced that they have claimed right-hander Pedro Beato off waivers from the Red Sox. In corresponding moves, Cincinnati has outrighted right-hander Greg Reynolds and catcher Corky Miller off the 40-man roster, each of whom has elected free agency.
Beato, 27, was designated for assignment last week when the Red Sox acquired outfielder Alex Castellanos from the Dodgers. Beato pitched 10 innings for Boston this season and allowed four earned runs (five total) on 12 hits and a pair of walks with five strikeouts. In 89 career innings between the Mets and Red Sox, the Dominican hurler has a 4.55 ERA with 5.7 K/9, 3.4 BB/9 and a 45.5 percent ground-ball rate. He's averaged a solid 92.4 mph on his heater in those 89 innings and was up to 93.1 mph with the Sox in 2013.
The 28-year-old Reynolds was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2006 draft by the Rockies, but the Stanford product has never been able to get his career going. He struggled through six appearances (five starts) for the Reds this season, yielding a 5.52 ERA with just 13 strikeouts against six walks in 29 1/3 innings. He was completely dominant at Triple-A Louisville, however, compiling a 2.42 ERA with 5.6 K/9 and 1.5 BB/9 in 156 1/3 innings.
Miller, 38 next Spring, batted .257/.366/.400 in 41 plate appearances for the Reds this season. The journeyman has appeared in parts of 11 big league seasons with the Reds, Red Sox, Twins, Braves and White Sox, posting a .193/.277/.306 triple-slash line in 616 plate appearances along the way. The veteran is a career .249/.370/.420 hitter in 3,859 minor league plate appearances.
The Red Sox have acquired outfielder Alex Castellanos from the Dodgers in exchange for minor league outfielder Jeremy Hazelbaker and cash considerations, the teams announced. In order to make room on their 40-man roster, the Red Sox have designated right-hander Pedro Beato for assignment.
Castellanos, 27, was designated for assignment when the Dodgers claimed Mike Baxter off waivers from the Mets. The first big leaguer produced from North Carolina's Belmont Abbey College since Hal Haid pitched in the 1920s, Castellanos has a .171/.186/.390 batting line in just 43 big league plate appearances -- all with the Dodgers. Originally a 10th-round pick of the Cardinals back in 2008, he was traded to the Dodgers in 2011 for Rafael Furcal and cash considerations. In 846 career appearances at Triple-A, Castellanos is a .291/.382/.525 hitter with 36 homers and 35 stolen bases. Baseball America ranked him among the Dodgers' Top 20 prospects prior to the 2012 (19th) and 2013 (11th) seasons.
Hazelbaker, who turned 26 in August, slashed .257/.313/.374 with 11 homers and 37 steals (in 44 attempts) at Triple-A Pawtucket this season. He hasn't ranked among BA's Top 30 Red Sox prospects since the 2010-11 offseason, though BA did name him the South Atlantic League's fastest baserunner in 2010. Indeed, the Ball State product is 194-for-245 (79.2 percent) in stolen base attempts throughout his minor league career.
Beato, who turns 27 on Sunday, pitched 10 innings for the Red Sox this season and allowed four earned runs (five total) on 12 hits and a pair of walks with five strikeouts. In 89 career innings between the Mets and Red Sox, the Dominican hurler has a 4.55 ERA with 5.7 K/9, 3.4 BB/9 and a 45.5 percent ground-ball rate. He's averaged a solid 92.4 mph on his heater in those 89 innings and was up to 93.1 mph with the Sox in 2013.
The latest outright assignments from around MLB...
- The Astros outrighted infielder Brandon Laird and outfielder Che-Hsuan Lin to Triple-A after the players cleared waivers, Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports (on Twitter).
- The Yankees announced that they outrighted right-hander Jim Miller to Triple-A. They had designated him for assignment two days ago to create 40-man roster space for Ichiro Suzuki.
- The Red Sox outrighted Pedro Beato to Triple-A after he cleared waivers, Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal reports (on Twitter). The Red Sox designated the right-hander for assignment two days ago to create roster space for Ryan Dempster.
- The Diamondbacks outrighted shortstop Gustavo Nunez to Detroit's Triple-A affiliate, the Tigers announced. Nunez, a 2011 Rule 5 Draft selection, spent the 2012 season on the Pirates' disabled list recovering from right ankle surgery. The Diamondbacks claimed him off of waivers from Pittsburgh on October 26th before returning him to Detroit today.
- The Orioles announced that they outrighted outfielder Steve Pearce to Triple-A. The club now has one open 40-man roster spot.
- The Cubs announced that they outrighted Gerardo Concepcion to Class A Kane County after the left-hander cleared waivers. Chicago's 40-man roster now includes 39 players.
- The Blue Jays announced that they outrighted right-hander Mickey Storey to Triple-A Buffalo. Toronto had claimed Storey off of waivers earlier in the week.
Beato, 26, joined the Red Sox in August as the player to be named later in the Kelly Shoppach trade. He appeared in four games for the Red Sox after pitching in seven games for the Mets. Beato spent most of the 2012 season in the minor leagues, where he posted a 3.33 ERA with 7.4 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 46 innings of work.
The first place Yankees are playing the fourth place Red Sox tonight while the third place Mets take on the first place Nationals. Here is the latest out of the Big Apple...
- The Mets have not yet had contract extension talks with Scott Hairston, though he is receptive to the idea according to ESPN New York's Adam Rubin. Rubin notes that the Amazin's signed Tim Byrdak to an extension at this time last year, so the GM Sandy Alderson regime has set a precedent for midseason deals.
- Rubin also reports that the Mets acquired Kelly Shoppach to see how he fits with their pitching staff and philosophies before considering re-signing him after the season. He notes that Pedro Beato, who went to Boston in the trade for Shoppach, had fallen out of favor in New York.
- The Mets have voided the minor league contract of the recently-signed Scott Patterson, reports Rubin. The right-hander came down with a shoulder injury in Triple-A.
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post (via Twitter) opines that second base prospect David Adams could eventually be trade fodder for the Yankees as he is blocked by Robinson Cano at the Major League level. Adams was supposed to be part of the 2010 Cliff Leenon-trade.
Mike Axisa contributed to this post.
The Red Sox have acquired right-hander Pedro Beato from the Mets as the player to be named later in the Kelly Shoppach trade, reports ESPN's Keith Law (on Twitter). New York acquired Shoppach earlier this week.
Beato, 25, has pitched to a 4.67 ERA with 5.6 K/9 and 3.7 BB/9 in 71 1/3 relief innings with the Mets over the last two seasons. They originally acquired him as a Rule 5 Draft pick from the Orioles prior to last season, then retained his rights by keeping him on the roster all summer. Beato has pitched to a 4.14 ERA in 37 Triple-A innings this season while also missing time with a shoulder problem.
Ruben Amaro Jr. of the Phillies (#2) and Frank Wren of the Braves (#9) both make Jon Heyman's list of top GMs of the year at SI.com. Here are the latest notes from the NL East...
- Davey Johnson will return as the Nationals' manager in 2012 unless he changes his mind, Heyman reports. The team is required to conduct a full offseason search, however.
- Former Mets GM Omar Minaya expects to join a new team before the Winter Meetings, according to Heyman, who suggests the Indians and Rays are possibilities.
- As Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com explains, Rule 5 pick Pedro Beato is destined to finish the season with the Mets and become the team's official property.
- The Braves' rotation is limping to the finish line, as Jon Paul Morosi writes at FOXSports.com. Atlanta probably didn't expect Mike Minor, Julio Teheran and Randall Delgado to start consecutive games in a pennant race.
- I examined the free agent stock of Marlins starter Javier Vazquez earlier today.