- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- Players Who Have Cleared Revocable Waivers
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Poll: Most Impactful August Acquisition
- Top Prospect Promotions: Pompey, Franco, Norris
- Minor Moves: Hill, Gwynn, Berry, Rangers, Reds
- Blue Jays Designate Neil Wagner For Assignment
- Dodgers Designate Carlos Triunfel For Assignment
- Dodgers Promote Joc Pederson
- Fallout From Astros’ Dismissal Of Bo Porter
- Athletics Designate Joe Savery For Assignment
- NL Notes: Phillies, Mets, Broxton, Brewers
- Mariners Place Jesus Montero On Suspended List
- Adam Dunn To “Probably” Retire After Season
- Royals Designate Chris Dwyer, Blake Wood
- Pirates Designate Chris McGuiness
- Astros Fire Bo Porter
- NL West Notes: Hanley, Kemp, Ross, Rosario
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Rocky Cherry Rumors
LInks for Thursday…
- Chico Harlan of the Washington Post says the Nationals will honor a handshake agreement Dmitri Young made with Jim Bowden, and put the first baseman back on the 40-man roster.
- Catcher Matt Wieters has been told by the Orioles that he'll be optioned to Triple A on Monday, according to Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun. Will the Orioles wait until late May to try to avoid Super Two status?
- Reds assistant GM Bob Miller talked to fans in an MLB.com Q&A.
- Check out an entertaining chat transcript with Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times over at Halos Heaven.
- Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star interviewed Zack Greinke.
- Rangers owner Tom Hicks told Richard Durrett of the Dallas Morning News that the team has not reduced its budget for 2010. The Rangers have yet to set next year's budget, but it's known that some big salaries will be coming off the books. Meanwhile, MLB.com's Barry Bloom notes that Hicks intends to sell a minority share of the team.
- Rays exec Andrew Friedman said the team's demotion of David Price was entirely for baseball reasons, talking to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times. R.J. Anderson of DRays Bay supports the decision. Bart Given agrees.
- Tom Haudricourt and Adam McCalvy write about Brewers GM Doug Melvin's irritation with the bogus Jake Peavy rumor.
- Purely speculative, but Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel wonders if Dontrelle Willis could get his career back on track with the Marlins.
- Rockies infielder Jeff Baker, unaffected by the trade rumors, homered twice yesterday.
- John Moores says the Padres sale to Jeff Moorad is "awfully close," talking to MLB.com's Barry Bloom. As you know, Sandy Alderson will step down as CEO when the deal closes (possibly today).
- Padres pitcher Shawn Hill had offers from six teams, according to MLB.com's Corey Brock.
- The Red Sox signed reliever Rocky Cherry to a minor league deal.
- MLB.com's Alyson Footer says reliever Danny Graves asked for and received his release from the Astros.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Cincinnati Reds | Colorado Rockies | Danny Graves | David Price | Detroit Tigers | Dmitri Young | Dontrelle Willis | Houston Astros | Jake Peavy | Jeff Baker | Kansas City Royals | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Matt Wieters | Miami Marlins | Milwaukee Brewers | Rocky Cherry | San Diego Padres | Shawn Hill | Tampa Bay Rays | Texas Rangers | Washington Nationals | Zack Greinke
The prodigal son returns – Chicago radio stations are reporting that the Cubs have acquired starter Steve Trachsel for third baseman Scott Moore and reliever Rocky Cherry. Apparently the two minor leaguers were able to slip through waivers, or perhaps Baltimore won claims on them.
The obvious question – where does Trax fit into the Cubs’ rotation? It’s hard to picture him outpitching Carlos Zambrano, Ted Lilly, Rich Hill, Jason Marquis, or Sean Marshall. Zambrano, Lilly, and Marquis are locks given their contracts, and Hill has the best ERA on the staff.
Marshall doesn’t seem to be ailing; his last three starts have been respectable. He tossed 147.3 innings last year and is on pace for about 157 this year. That’s a reasonable increase, so limiting his innings doesn’t seem a reasonable reason to yank him. Maybe we’re looking at a six-man rotation?
For a minute I thought maybe this was a block waiver claim, but then I remembered Trachsel cleared waivers. The Cubs must consider him an upgrade over Marshall. Marshall did have two rough outings to start the month; maybe that swayed Jim Hendry’s thinking. Or maybe he just wanted some insurance and someone to use in the upcoming doubleheader.