Scott Nestor Rumors
The Dodgers signed right-handed pitching prospect Scott Nestor to a minor league deal, MLBTR has learned. The 26-year-old reliever has struck out more than a batter per inning in his eight-year minor league career, but has struggled to limit walks.
In 67 innings split between Triple-A and A ball last year, Nestor posted a 5.91 ERA with typically high strikeout (8.6 K/9) and walk (7.1 BB/9) rates. Though he allows lots of walks, Nestor has limited hits throughout the minors (career 7.8 H/9). The California native pitched for Giants affiliates last year after spending time in the Pirates, Phillies and Marlins organizations.
Ken Rosenthal has a new column up.
- The Angels are telling teams they will only consider trading Chone Figgins if they find a third baseman. If Figgins does hit the market, figure on the Cubs getting involved.
- The Marlins offered Scott Nestor to the Phillies for Wes Helms, if the Phils paid $1.8MM of the $2.9MM owed to the third baseman. The Phils passed.
- Jeremy Affeldt already has a four-year offer in hand, so he's now looking for five years. Jeez. Teams known to be in on Affeldt: the Yankees, Rays, and Astros. Affeldt's agent has contacted the Mariners, trying to sell him as a starter. He grew up in Washington state.
- The Mets like the Pirates' Damaso Marte, if the Pirates lessen their demands. The Yankees, Phillies, Braves, and Astros are interested as well.
UPDATE, 12-8-07 at 2:47am: More excitement...throw Abraham Nunez into the mix of Marlins third base targets. This team is going places.
FROM 12-7-07 at 11:27am:
MLB.com's Joe Frisaro posted a new column last night full of good Marlins hot stove chatter.
- The most interesting note is that the Marlins talked to the Reds about swapping Dontrelle Willis for Josh Hamilton, prior to the blockbuster with Detroit.
- With Miguel Cabrera, the White Sox and Rangers were involved during the Meetings before the Tigers jumped in. The Rangers backed out when they couldn't get an extension window for Cabrera. The Tigers wanted the same but obviously it wasn't the dealbreaker. The Angels, Dodgers, and Giants were involved before the Meetings, with the Giants offering Noah Lowry.
- Frisaro says there are "strong indications the Marlins will sign Jorge Cantu. He'll be in the mix at third base.
- The Fish are offering the Phils Scott Nestor for Wes Helms, who'd also compete at the hot corner.
- The Mets have some interest in Alfredo Amezaga, though the Marlins are inclined to keep him.
- Miguel Olivo will be released soon, so throw him into the catcher market with Michael Barrett.