- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- Players Who Have Cleared Revocable Waivers
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- NL East Notes: Phillies, Amaro, Hamels, Murphy, Medlen
- Padres Designate Troy Patton, Chris Nelson
- Angels Designate Michael Kohn, J.B. Shuck
- Pirates Designate Michael Martinez For Assignment
- Yankees Designate Zoilo Almonte, Release Matt Daley
- MLBTR Chat Transcript
- 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings
- Astros Designate Paul Clemens, David Martinez
- Brewers Designate Caleb Gindl, Release Hiram Burgos
- Blue Jays Designate Darin Mastroianni, Matt Hague; Neil Wagner Released
- Astros Notes: Porter, Luhnow, Managerial Search
- Poll: Most Impactful August Acquisition
- Top Prospect Promotions: Pompey, Franco, Norris
- Minor Moves: Hill, Gwynn, Berry, Rangers, Reds
- Blue Jays Designate Neil Wagner For Assignment
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Seth McClung Rumors
MLB.com's Adam McCalvy writes that the Brewers will meet this week to discuss a potential acquisition to boost a struggling rotation. Thursday's starter is currently "to be announced."
With Dave Bush's arm fatigue, and the demotion of Manny Parra and his 7.52 ERA to Triple-A Nashville, the Milwaukee rotation is looking hazy, to say the least. Writes McCalvy:
"… [Ken] Macha will meet with general manager Doug Melvin, assistant GM Gord Ash and the coaching staff early Tuesday afternoon at Miller Park to discuss their options.
Melvin has been looking hard at potential trades, but it appears unlikely that he will be able to acquire a starter as early as this week."
Macha has also said that he's hesitant to move Seth McClung to the rotation, because he's so pleased with what McClung has done in relief this season.
McCalvy also names Tim Dillard, Lindsay Gulin, and Mike Burns, who made an effective spot start earlier in the season, as possibilities to be recalled from Nashville.
Personal speculation: the obvious name that comes to mind is Brad Penny, with all of the rumors surrounding the Boston right-hander. Who are some other names the Brewers could target?
According to Tom Haudricourt, the Brewers avoided arbitration with pitcher Seth McClung by agreeing to a deal for ’09. Ronald Blum says it’s for $1.6625MM. McClung, 28 next month, continued to struggle with his control but had his best season in 2008. The Brewers still have three big ones left in Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, and Rickie Weeks.
McClung gets a lot of attention for his ability to light up the radar gun. The Devil Rays were wishcasting him as their closer as recently as last year. The problem for a while now has been his ridiculously bad control. He’s 26 now. Let’s see what Mike Maddux can do with him. Or at least what Stan Kyles can do with him.
Balfour has spent a ton of time under the knife; I covered his travails in this post. He’s 29 presently. Given the Devil Rays’ bullpen, he could be closing by year’s end (said with tongue only half in cheek).
Basically, a live arm was swapped for another live arm. We’ll see if anything comes of it.