- Indians Extend Scott Atchison
- Rob Manfred Elected As Next Commissioner
- Pirates Acquire John Axford
- Latest On Rusney Castillo
- Royals Acquire Josh Willingham
- Tyler Skaggs Requires Tommy John Surgery
- Dodgers Acquire Kevin Correia
- Cubs Acquire Jacob Turner
- Angels Acquire Vinnie Pestano
- Dodgers Acquire Roberto Hernandez
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- Players Who Have Cleared Revocable Waivers
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Quick Hits: Atchison, Rapada, D’Backs, McLouth
- AL West Notes: Altuve, Morales, A’s, Jackson
- NL West Notes: Sabean, Padres, Dodgers, Gonzalez
- Rusney Castillo Rumors: Tuesday
- AL East Notes: Jimenez, Red Sox, McCann, Rays
- Latest On Diamondbacks, Kirk Gibson
- Minor Moves: Brown, Leroux
- Padres Designate Brooks Conrad For Assignment
- Red Sox Rumors: Bogaerts, Cespedes, Cherington
- MLBTR Chat Transcript
- Indians Extend Scott Atchison
- NL Notes: Cubs, Mets, D’backs
- AL East Notes: Venditte, Beeston, Blue Jays, Herrera
- Dodgers Interested In Adding Reliever, Bench Bat
- Reds Outright Chad Rogers
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Shawn Hill Rumors
The Blue Jays signed righty Shawn Hill to a minor league deal, according to the team's official Twitter account. The 28-year-old Canadian has pitched for the Expos, Nationals and Padres in his five-year MLB career. He has pitched 218.1 innings in total, allowing 249 hits and 70 walks, striking out 137 for a 4.95 ERA. His best season came in 2007, when he posted a 3.42 ERA in nearly 100 innings for the Nats.
As MLB.com's Jordan Bastian notes (via Twitter) Hill had a second Tommy John surgery last year.
The San Diego Padres have parted ways with outfielder Cliff Floyd and pitcher Shawn Hill, according to MLB.com's Brian McTaggart. They are the second and third players the Padres waived today, after the team also released righty Cha Seung Baek. Like Baek, Hill had been identified as a non-tender candidate by Tim.
Neither player was a major contributor in San Diego this season. Hill started three games for the club, posting a 1-1 record and a 5.25 ERA. Floyd made 17 plate appearances in 10 games, recording just two singles and a walk.
Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the Padres will promote right-hander Chad Gaudin before Monday's game for a start on Tuesday against the Rockies.
According to Brock, Padres GM Kevin Towers said Sunday that he will not seek to acquire pitching help in a trade.
The Padres have been hit hard by injuries to their rotation, placing three starters on the disabled list in the last month. Cha Seung Baek and Walter Silva have strained forearms, and Shawn Hill was moved to the DL after leaving a game with inflammation in his elbow.
LInks for Thursday…
- Chico Harlan of the Washington Post says the Nationals will honor a handshake agreement Dmitri Young made with Jim Bowden, and put the first baseman back on the 40-man roster.
- Catcher Matt Wieters has been told by the Orioles that he'll be optioned to Triple A on Monday, according to Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun. Will the Orioles wait until late May to try to avoid Super Two status?
- Reds assistant GM Bob Miller talked to fans in an MLB.com Q&A.
- Check out an entertaining chat transcript with Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times over at Halos Heaven.
- Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star interviewed Zack Greinke.
- Rangers owner Tom Hicks told Richard Durrett of the Dallas Morning News that the team has not reduced its budget for 2010. The Rangers have yet to set next year's budget, but it's known that some big salaries will be coming off the books. Meanwhile, MLB.com's Barry Bloom notes that Hicks intends to sell a minority share of the team.
- Rays exec Andrew Friedman said the team's demotion of David Price was entirely for baseball reasons, talking to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times. R.J. Anderson of DRays Bay supports the decision. Bart Given agrees.
- Tom Haudricourt and Adam McCalvy write about Brewers GM Doug Melvin's irritation with the bogus Jake Peavy rumor.
- Purely speculative, but Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel wonders if Dontrelle Willis could get his career back on track with the Marlins.
- Rockies infielder Jeff Baker, unaffected by the trade rumors, homered twice yesterday.
- John Moores says the Padres sale to Jeff Moorad is "awfully close," talking to MLB.com's Barry Bloom. As you know, Sandy Alderson will step down as CEO when the deal closes (possibly today).
- Padres pitcher Shawn Hill had offers from six teams, according to MLB.com's Corey Brock.
- The Red Sox signed reliever Rocky Cherry to a minor league deal.
- MLB.com's Alyson Footer says reliever Danny Graves asked for and received his release from the Astros.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Cincinnati Reds | Colorado Rockies | Danny Graves | David Price | Detroit Tigers | Dmitri Young | Dontrelle Willis | Houston Astros | Jake Peavy | Jeff Baker | Kansas City Royals | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Matt Wieters | Miami Marlins | Milwaukee Brewers | Rocky Cherry | San Diego Padres | Shawn Hill | Tampa Bay Rays | Texas Rangers | Washington Nationals | Zack Greinke
Links for Wednesday…
- Chat today, 2pm CST.
- The White Sox sent last year's first-round pick Gordon Beckham to Double A to play shortstop, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune.
- Brian McTaggart of the Houston Chronicle talked to Astros GM Ed Wade about the difference between guaranteed and non-guaranteed contracts.
- El Lefty Malo expects the Giants to trade lefty Jack Taschner and go after free agent Will Ohman. Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News dismissed an internet rumor about Taschner and the Tigers. Not sure where that came from.
- Alex Speier of WEEI projects Boston's Opening Day payroll to be under $120MM, its lowest since '03. Speier suggests this could allow midseason financial flexibility.
- Chico Harlan of the Washington Post asks whether the Nationals will try to avoid an eventual Super Two status for Jordan Zimmermann.
- Bart Given says Shawn Hill made the right decision in signing with San Diego.
- Oil Can Boyd hopes to pitch in Ottawa in the Cam-Am Baseball League.
- The Royals Authority 2009 Annual is on sale now – check it out.
According to Chico Harlan of the Washington Post, the Padres signed pitcher Shawn Hill to a minor league deal. Hill was released by the Nationals on Wednesday and also drew interest from the Blue Jays. San Diego is a great match, as he'll presumably have a rotation spot if healthy. A bonus for the Padres: they'll have the chance to keep Hill under team control through 2012 as an arbitration-eligible player.
SUNDAY 10:03am: Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star says the Jays are expecting to sign Shawn Hill as soon as he clears waivers. Griffin has a quote from J.P. Ricciardi:
"'We wouldn't be signing him to come in here and make the major-league staff," Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi said. 'We'd have to get him up to speed, kind of like (former major-leaguer) Wade Miller (currently in minor-league camp). We're just trying to get as many arms as we can in here. We know the young kids are going to struggle. … We're trying to put them in spots they might not be ready for. We get some veteran guys here and they can hold the fort down. … It gives us enough experience where we can just ease them in as opposed to throwing them in.'"
FRIDAY 4:49pm: According to Jeff Blair of The Globe and Mail, the Blue Jays are negotiating with just-released starter Shawn Hill. Hill is a great fit for the Jays so hopefully they'll get it done. His elbow has never been in good shape, but there's still upside.
Links for Saturday…
- According to MLB.com's Bryan Hoch, the Yankees demoted righty Phil Hughes. He had a nice spring and figures to be the first in line when the team needs another starter.
- Tracy Ringolsby of Inside the Rockies reports that Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall spoke with Luis Gonzalez about re-joining the D'Backs once he retires as a player.
- Dave Perkin of Baseball America highlights some amateur players worth keeping an eye on.
- Check out Tim's Interview over at 6 Pound 8 Ounce Baby Joba.
- Cameron Smith of the Washington Post thinks Shawn Hill and the Blue Jays should work out a deal because it would benefit both sides.
- Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that Corey Koskie's baseball future could be in jeopardy. Koskie felt light-headed after diving for a ball yesterday in Spring Training.
- ESPN.com's Peter Gammons spoke with Matt Holliday about his home-road splits and his new Oakland teammates. Like Buster Olney, Gammons suggests the Red Sox, Yankees and Angels are possible fits for Holliday after the season.
According to Chico Harlan of the Washington Post, the Nationals have agreed to terms with Joe Beimel on a one-year, $2MM deal. In a corresponding move, the Nats released starter Shawn Hill.
Beimel, a 31-year-old southpaw reliever, posted a 2.02 ERA in 71 games last season for the Dodgers. Nationals manager Manny Acta said Wednesday that Beimel will be used primarily as the team's eighth-inning setup man.
Hill, 27, has battled injuries for much of his career, but was well-liked in the clubhouse. Acta called the release "probably the toughest decision" he's had to make in his time with Washington, but the stats simply didn't justify a roster spot. Hill went 1-5 last season with a 5.83 ERA in 12 starts.