Weekly email list
- Alex Cobb Has Partially Torn Ligament In Elbow
- Devin Mesoraco Likely To Require Hip Surgery
- Introducing The MLBTR Newsletter
- Marlins Release Jarrod Saltalamacchia
- Adam Ottavino Has Partially Torn UCL
- Brewers Name Craig Counsell Manager
- Padres To Promote Austin Hedges
- Brewers Fire Ron Roenicke
- Cashman Confirms Yankees Will Not Pay A-Rod Home Run Bonus
- Athletics Claim Alex Hassan, Designate Cody Ross
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- West Notes: Ryu, Tucker, Moran, Reddick, Gentry
- Minor Moves: Parker, Cabrera, Walters, Hernandez, Stock
- Jordan Walden Out Six To Ten Weeks
- D’Backs, Mariners, Royals Considering Saltalamacchia; Orioles Unlikely
- Kyler Murray Opts Out Of MLB Draft
- NL Central Notes: Saltalamacchia, Garcia, Kang
- White Sox Designate Javy Guerra For Assignment
- Cubs Designate Anthony Varvaro For Assignment
- Brewers Notes: Attanasio, Melvin, Lucroy, Braun
- West Notes: Guerrero, Miller, Burns
- Should The Astros Pursue Cole Hamels?
- Quick Hits: Myers, Salty, Correa, Appel, Draft
- Minor Moves: Baker, Ortiz, Tolleson, Bello, Sands
- Injury Notes: Rendon, Johnson, Walden, Albers, Lucroy
- AL East Notes: Pirela, Travis, Paredes, Red Sox
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Zach Lee Rumors
10:59pm: The Dodgers signed Lee, according to Jim Callis of Baseball America (on Twitter). Lee will leave LSU and focus solely on baseball, according to the team. Lee will get a $5.25MM bonus to be spread over five years, according to Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times (on Twitter).
8:26pm: The Dodgers are "on the brink" of signing first-round pick Zach Lee, according to Yahoo's Steve Henson (on Twitter). The prep right-hander, who turns 19 next month, was considered a tough sign, partly because he has committed to playing quarterback for LSU's football team. The Dodgers selected Lee 28th overall, a slot for which MLB recommended a $1.134MM bonus a year ago.
Louisiana State head football coach Les Miles seems to think the Dodgers will not be signing their first-round pick Zach Lee this year. In a statement on the LSU football website, Miles said:
"Zach wants to come to LSU, get a degree and play football and baseball for the Tigers. I met with Zach and his parents today and I think that they are looking at LSU as a great opportunity both academically and athletically. Zach is an outstanding student and he's excited about the college experience."
Lee begins summer classes today, though the Dodgers technically have until the August 16th deadline to sign him. Dodgers assistant GM Logan White told Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times on Monday that he's cautiously optimistic about signing Lee and the team did not purposely select an unsignable player to save money. ESPN's Keith Law wrote recently that the "rumor of the day had the kid saying $6 million wouldn't get him signed."
ESPN's Keith Law found yesterday's first round insane. To fully understand why you should join ESPN Insider and read his piece, which I heartily recommend. A few highlights:
- Law found it interesting that the Brewers snagged high school righty Dylan Covey at #14, because they are a team in need of more immediate rotation help. GM Doug Melvin explained to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that scouting director Bruce Seid deserves credit for not taking the easy path in the form of a college hurler. On yesterday's conference call, MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith learned that Covey feels there's a "really good chance" he'll sign rather than attend the University of San Diego.
- Law felt that the Reds took the best player available at #12 in college catcher Yasmani Grandal, and having strong catching depth in the system will not be a bad thing.
- The Cardinals drew praise for landing college third baseman Zack Cox, who surprisingly fell to #25.
- The Red Sox and Angels' many first-round picks were lauded by Law. College righty Anthony Ranaudo was an intriguing choice by the Red Sox. The Boras client was considered one of the draft's top talents before suffering a stress reaction in his forearm. WEEI's Alex Speier has more on Boston's three picks.
- The biggest surprise of the draft had to be the Cubs taking college righty Hayden Simpson at #16, who was not considered a first rounder by most draft gurus. Cubs scouting director Tim Wilken told Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune he had it confirmed that other clubs would've taken Simpson before the Cubs picked again at #65. The Yankees' selection of high school shortstop Cito Culver at #32 was another surprise.
- The Dodgers took a very tough sign in high school pitcher Zach Lee, who has a commitment to play football at LSU. Dodgers assistant GM Logan White insisted to Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times that the team did not purposely take an unsignable player to save money.