Some links to start the day off…
- Marc Carig of the Star Ledger says the Yankees hit the jackpot when they signed C.C. Sabathia to a $161MM deal last offseason.
- As Yankees manager Joe Girardi tells Filip Bondy of the New York Daily News, they acquired the lefty for big games like last night's ALDS opener against the Twins.
- Tigers fans are rightfully frustrated after a devastating week, but Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press says firing manager Jim Leyland wouldn't solve a thing.
- Former Astros manager Phil Garner tells Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle that candidates for the Houston managerial job have to be honest with owner Drayton McLane and GM Ed Wade.
- Now that Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez knows his job is secure, he's clearing his head in Georgia for a few days, according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald.
- ESPN.com's Rob Neyer agrees with Tyler Hissey: the Rockies deserve a lot of credit for acquiring Jason Hammel.
- Hissey says the Rays appear to have won the deal that sent Delmon Young and Brendan Harris to the Twins for Jason Bartlett and Matt Garza.