The Twins face a number of roster decisions as the season draws to a close, Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press writes. Many of the players the club added to the 40-man in 2012 ahead of the Rule 5 draft saw significant time in the major leagues this year. Alex Wimmers, a first-round pick in 2010 who returned from Tommy John surgery in July, will be subject to the Rule 5 if he's not added in November, Berardino notes. Here's more from the AL's central division:
- Twins GM Terry Ryan wouldn't hesitate to sign a player coming off of a PED-related suspension, as long as the player had served his time, Berardino tweets.
- Ryan says that he'll be back as GM next season and that a decision on Ron Gardenhire's future is coming soon, writes Phil Mackey of 1500 ESPN. Sources tell Mackey they believe the Twins and Gardenhire have discussed one- or two-year contract possibilities.
- Gardenhire and Rick Anderson are among the winningest manager-pitching coach pairings in major league history, Berardino writes.
- Berardino notes that Glen Perkins won't be able to trigger the $150,000 bonus in his contract for 55 games finished. Perkins entered today having finished 52 games. The left-hander will earn about $2.98MM in salary and bonuses this year, and is on track to make around $3.99MM next season.
- Paul Konerko spoke at length with reporters about his future with the White Sox, and MLB.com's Scott Merkin has the details in a post on his blog. Konerko says he hasn't formally broached the subject with the club, but that he'd be willing to return to the Sox in a part-time role.
Steve Adams contributed to this post.