Lugo Misses Workout; Team Travels Without Him
Amid rumors that the Red Sox are doing everything they can to move him, Julio Lugo missed a mandatory team workout and didn't travel to Toronto with his teammates for their upcoming series against the Blue Jays. As Adam Kilgore of the Boston Globe reports, manager Terry Francona said Lugo missed the workout because of a mix-up.
Pirates Talk Extensions With Sanchez & Wilson
It looked like the Pirates might trade Freddy Sanchez and Jack Wilson away this month, but Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says the team wants to keep its double play combination together for years. The Pirates approached Sanchez and Wilson, who are close friends, about extending their current deals.
Roy Halladay Rumors: Thursday
7:08pm: T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com says the Rangers have had discussions with the Blue Jays about Halladay, but sources call it a "long-shot."
5:13pm: Joe Strauss of The St. Louis Post-Dispatch says the Cardinals are now downplaying a potential Halladay trade, mentioning that they have too little pitching and won't include centerfielder Colby Rasmus in a deal.
3:56pm: The Blue Jays told the Yankees and Red Sox they'd prefer to deal Halladay outside of the AL East according to Jon Heyman.
1:21pm: MLB.com's Todd Zolecki heard from a Phillies source who says Halladay's $14.25MM salary is nothing and won't be an issue. The inclusion of Vernon Wells in any trade would be a dealbreaker, however.
12:15pm: One exec told Jon Heyman of SI.com that he would trade Joba Chamberlain for Halladay, but wouldn't give Rick Porcello up for him.
11:07am: We heard that the Angels and Cardinals may have trouble piecing together an offer for Roy Halladay, but assembling an appealing group of players would be even harder for the Tigers. Here are details on Halladay, the Tigers and other suitors for baseball's best available pitcher:
- MLB.com's Jason Beck says the Tigers have the financial might to pursue Halladay, even if their young talent begins and ends with Rick Porcello and Ryan Perry.
- The Tigers don't have a stable fifth starter, so Halladay would be a massive upgrade for them, but money will not be enough to pry him away from the Jays and the Tigers don't have top prospects in the minors.
- I discussed Halladay and other players the Tigers could look to acquire in a Q&A at EyeOfTheTigers.com.
- Bill Madden of the New York Daily News says the Yankees need to give up the top prospects to acquire Halladay if the Blue Jays are willing to deal their ace within the division.
Red Sox “Desperately” Want To Move Lugo
5:19pm: Citing a major league source, Rosenthal says that the Red Sox "have informed teams that they are willing to assume virtually all of shortstop Julio Lugo's remaining salary in a trade." He also says that Boston realizes Lugo is a sunk cost at this point, and would accept a fringe prospect in return for him.
1:37pm: Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the Red Sox are trying "desperately" to move Julio Lugo now that Jed Lowrie, Mike Lowell and Clay Buchholz are about to return to the active roster. The Red Sox won't have room for Lugo anymore, so they're looking to trade him. They've been trying to deal him since last year to no avail, so Rosenthal hears the Red Sox could simply release Lugo if they don't find a match.
Jocketty: Reds “Still Looking For A Hitter”
Now that Jay Bruce is on the DL, the Reds need a hitter more than ever and GM Walt Jocketty is searching for one, according to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon. Jocketty said the Reds won't necessarily get the bat they're looking for, but he says he's "looking for a hitter" anyways.
Cubs Sign B.J. Ryan
The Cubs signed B.J. Ryan to a one-year deal, according to ESPN Chicago. He will work out in Arizona before reporting to Triple A Iowa, according to the Chicago Tribune, which first reported the team's interest last week.
The Blue Jays released Ryan after a disappointing three and a half year stint that began well, but ends with the Blue Jays paying $15MM between now and the end of next season as he plays in another uniform. The change of scenery could help Ryan, who wasn't bad against lefties this year. However, he allowed a near-1.200 OPS against righties and saw the velocity of his fastball drop for a fourth straight season, according to FanGraphs.
Odds And Ends: Vinicio, Sano, Mets
More links for the afternoon…
- The Red Sox had this deal set up before July 2nd and now it's finalized. They signed Dominican SS Jose Vinicio to a $1.95MM deal, according to WEEI.com's Alex Speier.
- Roy Halladay leads the league in pitcher abuse points, as Tim shows at RotoAuthority. Click on the link for the entire list of hard-working starters.
- ESPN.com's Jorge Arangure Jr. says Miguel Angel Sano wants to sign with the Pirates, but his agent wants him to take the biggest offer.
- Newsday's David Lennon reports that Fernando Martinez had surgery and will miss 6-8 weeks.
- In spite of all the injuries the Mets have suffered, Cameron Smith of the Washington Post isn't sure a second-place finish will be enough to save Omar Minaya's job. Minaya's three-year $4.5MM extension kicks in next season.
GM: Royals Won’t Trade Core Players
The Royals aren't trading any of their core players this year, according to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star. GM Dayton Moore said some players just aren't available.
Odds And Ends: Twins, Iglesias, Rockies
More links to read through as the second half gets underway…
- Which AL teams have the easiest route to the playoffs? ESPN.com's Buster Olney says the Twins have a favorable schedule from here on.
- Kiley McDaniel of Baseball Prospectus has the details on the Jose Iglesias deal. The Red Sox awarded the slick-fielding shortstop a $3MM bonus and will pay the remainder of his $8.25MM deal over the next four years.
- ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick says the Rockies need to fortify their bullpen before the end of the month.
- Tune in to The Big 1070 at 3:25 CST and Team 1380 in St. Louis at 6:20 CST, as I'll be talking trades on both stations.
Odds And Ends: Zito, Red Sox, Pedro
Some links for the morning…
- Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News says the Giants have to think about releasing Barry Zito after the season because he's weighing them down.
- ESPN.com's Rob Neyer says the Giants can't afford to release Zito just yet.
- Tony Massarotti of the Boston Globe says the Red Sox could use another lefty specialist in the 'pen.
- Joe Starkey of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the Pirates are confident Miguel Angel Sano is a 16 years old, like he says.
- Jamey Newberg updates us on the top 20 Rangers prospects at MLB.com. You have to think the Blue Jays are looking at a version of this list.
- Bruce Jenkins of the San Francisco Chronicle says no one will be watching Matt Holliday more closely than the Giants.
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post wonders if Pedro Martinez can have a David Cone-like late career renaissance in Philadelphia.
- And check out the final part of my discussion over at NESN.com for a look at the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays and an under-the-radar trade candidate.
