Playoff Odds Update
It's been a while since we last checked in on the playoff odds. Lots of teams say they expect to contend, but let's take a look at which teams have fallen out of the pennant race. These clubs have less than a 10% chance of making the playoffs, according to Baseball Prospectus.
- Reds – 4.5%
- Astros – 4.4%
- Blue Jays – 2.8%
- Pirates - 0.9%
- Royals – 0.8%
- Indians – 0.5%
- Diamondbacks – 0.3%
- Athletics – 0.3%
- Orioles – 0.0%
- Padres – 0.0%
- Nationals – 0.0%
None of these teams are close and eight of them have less than a 1% chance. It would take a surprisingly good second half for one of these clubs to make the playoffs, but that doesn't mean the Reds and Astros are sellers, since they're close enough to contention that firesales would be tough to justify to the fans.
Pedro Martinez Rumors: Friday
4:54pm: The Phillies GM tells Stark that ESPN.com's report that he was in the Dominican is false, as he's in Philly, ready to watch his team play.
4:17pm: Stark says Pedro struck out three and allowed three hits over the course of three shutout innings in a simulated game.
3:55pm: Here's the full ESPN.com story. Amaro Jr. watched Pedro throw after a brief rain delay.
3:44pm: ESPN.com's Jayson Stark hears from his colleague Enrique Rojas that Ruben Amaro Jr. flew to the Dominican Republic today to watch Pedro throw.
10:43am: The Phillies are in serious talks with Pedro Martinez. They liked what they saw and they'll take another look at him today. In the meantime, here are the latest Pedro rumors.
- Ray Parrillo and Jim Salisbury of the Philadelphia Inquirer report that Pedro's agent says there's strong interest from both sides.
- ESPN.com reports that a deal with Pedro won't prevent the Phillies from pursuing Roy Halladay.
- Bob Ford of the Philadelphia Inquirer says the Phillies can win without Pedro.
Odds And Ends: Chapman, Betancourt, Masset
- According to Baseball America, there's no evidence to suggest that Aroldis Chapman is 26 years old and allegations that he's any older than 21 don't pass the logic test.
- ESPN.com's Jayson Stark has the oddest anecdotes and funniest quotes from the first half of the season.
- The AP (via ESPN) reports that this year's All Stars will receive a combined $2.3MM in bonuses for making the team, led by Roy Halladay's $125k. I wonder who pays if Halladay's dealt before Tuesday…
- As Bradford Doolittle of the Kansas City Star shows, Yuniesky Betancourt does not have much of a glove or bat, so it's puzzling that the Royals wanted him.
- MLB.com's Mark Sheldon reports that the Reds aren't trading Nick Masset away, especially when his $418k salary makes him so affordable.
Astros Claim Chris Coste
The Astros claimed catcher Chris Coste off waivers after the Phillies released him, according to Scott Lauber of the Wilmington News Journal. Coste, 36, was hitting .245/.342/.382 in 45 games for the Phillies, with a pair of homers. The Phillies let the fan favorite go to make room for Raul Ibanez.
Royals Acquire Yuniesky Betancourt
The Royals acquired Yuniesky Betancourt and cash from the Mariners for a pair of minor league pitchers, according to Joe Hamrahi of Baseball Daily Digest. Betancourt makes at least $10MM before his current deal expires, so it'll be interesting to see how much the Mariners are contributing.
Here's some info on the pitchers, from Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune. Danny Cortes, 22, will report to AA. He's 6-2 with a 3.12 ERA in his last eleven games after a rough start to the year in the Royals organization. He was the Royals' minor league pitcher of the year last year and Baseball America labelled him the best minor league pitcher in the organization entering this year.
Derrick Saito, 21, has struck out more than a batter per inning in A ball. The 21-year-old lefty will begin his Mariners career in A ball.
Olney On Nats, Rockies, Halladay
ESPN.com's Buster Olney likes the looks of the Mariners, especially with a top three of Felix Hernandez, Erik Bedard and Jarrod Washburn. Here are Olney's latest rumors:
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo says he doesn't have to dump payroll, which gives the team flexibility when considering deals for Nick Johnson, Austin Kearns and others. If they find a worthwhile deal, the Nationals could likely contribute money to make it work.
- As much as the Rockies would like to add a reliever, there are few desirable options out there now, so they may have to wait until closer to the deadline.
- No team has come forth with an aggressive offer for Roy Halladay so far.
- Olney hears that the Phillies would like to add two starters. Halladay and Pedro Martinez are the names they've been connected to recently.
Halladay And The AL East
The Red Sox phoned the Blue Jays about Roy Halladay, according to Joe McDonald of the Providence Journal. Jon Heyman hears that the Jays are reluctant to deal within the AL East, but they'll have the option to. McDonald reports that the Red Sox and Yankees are on a list of teams Halladay has told the Jays he would accept trades to. The Blue Jays are scouting "all minor league levels" of the Yankees and Red Sox, according to McDonald.
Heyman On Halladay, Pedro, Ackley, Andruw
SI.com's Jon Heyman hears that the Blue Jays could keep Roy Halladay, especially since Toronto fans would not be receptive to a deal that sends their ace elsewhere. If the Jays do deal Halladay, they say they're looking for two premium prospects who will be ready for the majors next year and two other prospects who are further away from making big league contributions. Here are the details and the rest of Heyman's rumors:
- One executive says the Phillies, Giants and Angels have the best shots at acquiring Halladay.
- The Yankees and Mets have both spoken with the Blue Jays.
- It seems odd for teams to set some prospects off limits when the Jays are making Halladay available, but teams like the Rangers and Giants could conceivably deal for Doc and hold onto one or two of their top prospects.
- Executives haven't heard that the Blue Jays are trying to unload Vernon Wells' salary in a combined deal with Halladay.
- No executives believe teams would take Wells under any circumstances. They have "no shot" at moving him, according to one executive.
- Heyman credits Pedro Martinez's agent, Fern Cuza, for some impressive deals but doubts the report that suggested the Phillies will pay Pedro $4MM, unless it's prorated.
- Scott Boras met Mariners people to discuss second-overall pick Dustin Ackley, but the two sides made little progress.
- Heyman praises Andruw Jones for turning down offers from the Braves and Yankees to sign in Texas with coach Rudy Jaramillo.
Odds And Ends: Pujols, Pirates, Marlins
Links for Friday…
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says the Cardinals would lock Albert Pujols up to an extension as soon as possible in a perfect world.
- Bud Selig told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Pujols, Derek Jeter and Trevor Hoffman are among baseball's best ambassadors.
- Their interest in Miguel Angel Sano is on hold, but that's not stopping the Pirates from being aggressive in Latin America. Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette passes along descriptions of six Pirates signees.
- Greg Cote of the Miami Herald says the Marlins need to acquire a closer, even if it means giving up Cody Ross, Jeremy Hermida or Dan Uggla.
- MLB.com's Mark Bowman reports that possible trade candidate Javier Vazquez will miss his next start with an abdominal strain.
- Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune asks his readers whether the Twins should trade for Freddy Sanchez.
- The Indians signed second rounder Jason Kipnis, according to a team press release.
- MLB.com's John Torenli reports that Padres prospect Mat Latos pitched five perfect innings last night.
Yuniesky Betancourt Rumors
11:32am: Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that Betancourt is healthy and was genuinely puzzled after being removed from last night's lineup. As Divish points out, Zduriencik's "no comment" suggests something's up.
9:22am: As MLB.com's Jim Street notes, the Mariners have been pleased with Ronny Cedeno's performance during Yuniesky Betancourt's DL stint, so there's a chance they deal Batancourt within the next week.
