Roy Halladay Rumors: Friday
For all of the Pedro Martinez rumors, Roy Halladay remains the best pitcher available. Here's the latest buzz surrounding the ace ace of a Jays team that's now fallen below .500:
- The Rangers have enough money coming off the books in 2010 to afford Halladay then, so his 2009 salary could be the team's biggest obstacle, according to Jamey Newberg. If the Rangers can afford Halladay this year, Newberg says the Rangers could give up Neftali Feliz or Justin Smoak- not both- along with Taylor Teagarden and others. But Derek Holland and Martin Perez are untouchable for Newberg.
- MLB.com's Todd Zolecki suspects that the Phillies would part with Jason Knapp, Dominic Brown or Kyle Drabek in the right deal if it meant adding Halladay.
- He only spoke in general terms, but Cards GM John Mozeliak told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch "there is always a chance to do a deal."
- Jim Donaldson of the Providence Journal doesn't think Halladay's worth the price for the Red Sox.
Jays And Reds Talked; No Rolen Deal Likely
10:18am: Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News says the Reds are not trading for Rolen. The Blue Jays and Reds talked, but the Jays are not interested in Encarnacion and the Reds would have trouble taking on Rolen's contract.
McCoy spoke with a Reds official who says the team has no room for Garrett Atkins.
9:42am: The Reds are interested in hot-hitting third baseman Scott Rolen, according to Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun. They've discussed him internally, scouted him and dangled Edwin Encarnacion to the Blue Jays. Elliott says J.P. Ricciardi would like prospects in return for Rolen, whose contract the Jays wouldn't mind shedding. Rolen's on a 25-game hit streak, with a .330 average and an .876 OPS, so the $16.5MM remaining on his deal before the end of next year is palatable, especially when you consider his strong defense.
Red Sox Agree To Terms With Cuban SS
The Red Sox have agreed to sign Cuban shortstop Jose Iglesias to a deal worth over $8MM, according to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. We heard that the Red Sox were close to signing the defensive phenom a week ago, but it looks like the agreement is complete, though an official announcement isn't expected until later in the month.
Pirates Hope To Deal Adam LaRoche
The Pirates would like to deal Adam LaRoche and his $7MM salary, but he's only attracting minimal interest, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The 29-year-old first baseman becomes a free agent for the first time after the season. He's hitting .259/.345/.464 with 12 homers so far, better than he usually does in the first half. Over the course of his career, LaRoche's OPS is 129 points higher in the second half.
Freddy Sanchez Rumors: Friday
The Giants and Twins are interested in Freddy Sanchez, but no deal is imminent for the Pirates' second baseman. Here are the latest Sanchez rumors from Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports and Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Morosi says the Twins and Giants are interested, but would probably want to see Sanchez, who has missed the last six games with a back issue, prove his health before making a deal.
- The Rockies don't appear to have serious interest. That's hardly a surprise, given Clint Barmes' work at second base and Colorado's need for relievers.
- In addition to the Giants and Rockies, Kovacevic hears that the Pirates have spoken to as many as five teams.
- The Giants would move Jonathan Sanchez, but he would not be enough on his own.
- Both reporters identify an obstacle for interested teams: the vesting option that will allow Sanchez to make $8MM next year if he continues playing regularly.
Pirates “Pushing Hard” To Deal Sanchez
8:49pm: Geoff Baker reports that one of the Pirates’ top scouts is in Seattle to watch the Mariners play the Rangers. Baker speculates that it could be related to the availability of Sanchez or Jack Wilson.
8:34pm: Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse has a source that says if a Sanchez deal is imminent “it’s not to the Giants.”
4:48pm: Troy Renck of the Denver Post says giving up Young to acquire Sanchez “makes no sense” for the Rockies, who would be more likely to pursue Matt Capps.
3:52pm: Perrotto reports that the Pirates could deal Sanchez by this weekend. The Rockies are frontrunners, and appear to be willing to part with 2007 first rounder Casey Weathers. Apparently Carlos Gonzalez‘s name has been mentioned in talks as well. The Twins and Giants still have interest in Sanchez.
Perrotto hears that the Pirates would not have a player replace Sanchez at the All-Star Game if they deal him before Tuesday.
11:49am: One NL executive told Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Pirates are “pushing hard” to deal Freddy Sanchez. The Rockies, Giants and as many as five other teams have spoken with the Pirates about their All-Star second baseman.
Sanchez makes $6.1MM this year and will make $8MM in 2010 if he picks up 271 plate appearances before the end of the season.
10:05am: The Rockies are interested in Freddy Sanchez, according to John Perrotto at The Insider On Pittsburgh Sports. The Pirates apparently “love” Rockies minor leaguer Eric Young Jr., a 24-year-old with 23 extra base hits, 37 walks and 47 steals already.
Phils In “Serious Talks” With Pedro; No Deal Yet
7:56pm: Stark is now reporting that Pedro has changed his mind and will throw for the Phillies a second time on Friday at 1pm.
7:22pm: A source has told Jayson Stark that the Phillies have requested to see Pedro throw a second time “to see how his arm responds,” but that Pedro has refused. The source told Stark that Pedro feels the Phillies “have enough information to make a decision from his simulated game Tuesday and shouldn’t need him to throw again.”
7:18pm: Here is Todd Zolecki’s summary of the Pedro situation.
5:45pm: The AP has some quotes from Pedro and Amaro. Pedro says this is the best he has felt “for some time.” Amaro reiterated that Pedro has not been signed and that Pedro is “not in town.”
5:30pm: Jon Heyman spoke with Pedro’s agent who says Pedro will make a decision by Sunday.
5:29pm: Nobody has addressed this yet, but if the $4MM figure is accurate, it would most certainly have to be prorated, which would mean the Phillies would only pay Pedro about $2MM for the remainder of the season.
5:12pm: Zolecki is now reporting that Pedro has informed the AP that his agent “is negotiating” with the Phillies.
4:57pm: Amaro told Zolecki the Phillies haven’t signed Pedro, but wouldn’t say whether they had reached an agreement or if Pedro had a physical scheduled.
4:49pm: Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Phils are in “pretty serious talks” with Pedro, but doesn’t confirm the report below.
4:15pm: Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. declined to comment on a report saying the Phillies signed Pedro Martinez, according to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki. The report from CandelaDeportiva.com says Pedro signed for $4MM after showing off a fastball between 88 and 91 mph and good secondary pitches.
Reds Interested In Atkins?
6:34pm: John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer spoke with the Reds and says it was the Rockies that called the Reds to see if they were interested in Atkins, adding that they are not. Fay cites the $3.4MM Atkins is owed and his position as reasons the Reds are not interested. Fay does say the Reds would be willing to add salary for the "right guy." He also says the Reds could trade a relief pitcher, but that it would probably not be Nick Masset.
4:45pm: The Reds have spoken to the Rockies about Garrett Atkins, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post. The Rockies are looking for relievers, but it will be hard to match up salaries, as Atkins makes $3.4MM before the end of the season, much more than most relievers. The Rockies would likely have to cover some of Atkins' salary in a deal for a cheap reliever like Nick Masset, but could trade him for a pricier arm like David Weathers, if he's available.
Odds And Ends: Glaus, Magglio, Halladay
More links for the afternoon… for those on Roy Halladay alert, he pitched well today, though he wasn't exactly lights-out.
- Troy Glaus could begin rehabbing this weekend, according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- ESPN.com's Rob Neyer says it will be "exceptionally difficult" for Magglio Ordonez to bat 166 more times if he remains in a platoon. If he bats 165 times or less, his $18MM option for 2010 doesn't vest.
- Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says there's almost no way the Yankees would agree to take on Vernon Wells' salary in a potential Roy Halladay deal.
- Jay Jaffe of Baseball Prospectus writes on ESPN.com that the Phillies need Halladay now. The Rangers, Brewers, Angels and Cardinals fill out Jaffe's list of teams that need Doc most.
- Diamond Leung reports that the Padres acquired minor league catcher Yamid Haad from the Mariners organization and assigned him to Triple A.
- Lost and found: Bartolo Colon will start tonight for Triple A Charlotte, according to Mark Gonzales.
Roy Halladay Rumors: Prospect Update
The Blue Jays want top talent in exchange for Roy Halladay, but we heard yesterday that the Phillies have some untouchable players, perhaps Kyle Drabek. Here's what the Cards and Mets are saying about their top prospects:
- Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch confirms that John Mozeliak will call the Blue Jays, but suggests some in the organization would not consider dealing Brett Wallace, who the Jays wanted in last year's draft. Baseball America ranks Wallace as the 21st best prospect in baseball and the Cards' only prospect in the top 50.
- Jon Heyman of SI.com says the Mets want to keep Jennry Mejia, Brad Holt and Ike Davis. Along with Fernando Martinez, Mejia and Holt are considered their best prospects, so it's hard to envision a Halladay deal without them.
- Three Phillies prospects join Drabek in BA's top 50: Dominic Brown (17), Michael Taylor (23), and Jason Knapp.
- The Rangers and Giants each have three prospects in the top 50; the Red Sox and Yankees each have a pair.
