Josh Willingham Rumors: Tuesday

Josh Willingham may  have become expendable for the Nationals with the Jayson Werth signing, but Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that the asking price is said to be absurd.  Rosenthal says the Athletics and Red Sox have checked in, while his colleague Jon Paul Morosi adds the Tigers and Mariners.

Mariners Close To Deal With Jack Cust?

Jack Cust is about to sign with the Mariners, tweets Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.  However, John Hickey of AOL Fanhouse tweets that the Mariners figure to leave the Winter Meetings tomorrow without having completed a deal aside from a possible Rule 5 pick.

Cust, 32 in January, hit .272/.395/.438 in 425 plate appearances for the Athletics before being non-tendered this month.  He's spent time at the outfield corners and designated hitter.

Athletics Considering Vlad, Willingham, Derrek Lee

The Athletics are looking for offense with Vladimir Guerrero and Hideki Matsui on their list, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.  The A's prefer free agents to trades, Morosi notes.  Lance Berkman turned down a two-year offer from the A's; Vlad may require at least that long of a deal to sign.

The A's are also in on Josh Willingham and Derrek Lee, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, but the Nationals' asking price for Willingham is said to be absurd.  Rosenthal feels that the A's could offer Lee more than the Padres or Diamondbacks.

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reported yesterday that A's GM Billy Beane met with Matsui's agent Arn Tellem.  Tellem tells her the A's are not the only team in on him.  The Orioles are in, but Matsui prefers a contender.  She considers Nick Johnson and Lee "among the other potential options."  The A's don't find Carlos Beltran a realistic option, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post.  They don't believe he'd waive his no-trade clause to come to Oakland.    

Mariners Rumors: Olivo, Second Base, Diaz

The Mariners have been linked to Rich Harden, Gregg Zaun, Eric Chavez, Hideki Matsui, Jack Cust, Matt Diaz, Koji Uehara, and even Zack Greinke in recent days.  The latest:

  • ESPN's Mike Salk says Miguel Olivo's name is popping up more than Zaun's in association with Seattle.  Olivo spent parts of the '04 and '05 seasons with the Mariners.
  • Salk says the Mariners are looking harder for a second baseman than a third baseman.  They prefer Chone Figgins at third.
  • Salk describes the Mariners' interest in Matsui as tire-kicking and is skeptical a deal will happen.
  • The Ms are more focused on their everyday lineup than rotation right now, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.
  • The Mariners are in on Matt Diaz, but they're one of as many as ten teams.  ESPN's Jayson Stark tweets that things are moving fast with Diaz.  He's expected to pick a team by midday Wednesday, tweets Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.  Diaz's agent Larry Reynolds told WEEI's Rob Bradford his client could even sign today.

Dodgers Close To Agreement With Vicente Padilla

The Dodgers moved close to a one-year, $2MM agreement with righty Vicente Padilla, reports MLB.com's Ken Gurnick.  The deal is contingent on Padilla passing a Thursday physical.  Padilla would serve as a swingman, Gurnick writes.  The Dodgers already filled out their rotation by signing Ted Lilly, Hiroki Kuroda, and Jon Garland, but you can never have too much depth.

Padilla, 33, pitched well when healthy in 2010.  He posted a 4.07 ERA, 8.0 K/9, 2.3 BB/9, 1.3 HR/9, and 39.8% groundball rate in 95 innings this year.  He missed time with forearm and neck injuries.

At Least Seven Teams Checked In On Rich Harden

The Yankees, Twins, Rays, Diamondbacks, Brewers, Mariners, and Rockies have checked in on free agent righty Rich Harden, writes Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.  Morosi says some teams like Harden as a starter, others as a reliever.

The oft-injured Harden received a $7.5MM guarantee from the Rangers last year, but had a lost season.  He posted a 5.58 ERA, 7.3 K/9, 6.1 BB/9, 1.8 HR/9, and 34.5% groundball rate in 92 innings, battling a strained glute and shoulder tendinitis.  These days he's a fastball/changeup pitcher with a 90.5 mph average heater.

Paul Konerko Rumors: Monday

Paul Konerko led all free agents with 39 home runs in 2010.  The White Sox are considered the favorites, but the Rangers and Orioles are also in the mix.  Here's the latest on the first baseman:

  • Talks between Konerko and the White Sox seem to be going well, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (Twitter link). Konerko will likely get $12.5MM per season, potentially for three years.
  • The White Sox are awaiting a response from Konerko and agent Craig Landis, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).
  • The White Sox will continue to have conversations with Konerko's representatives, according to Scott Reifert of the White Sox (on Twitter). GM Kenny Williams is neither optimistic nor pessimistic about reaching a deal.
  • White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, asked if he expects to sign Konerko by week's end, replied, "I hope so."  He also said Konerko "belongs in Chicago."  Jon Paul Morosi reported the quotes on Twitter.
  • Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers "had extended talks" with Konerko, reports Tracy Ringolsby of FOX Sports.  However, ESPN's Buster Olney tweets that the D'Backs have had "virtually no dialogue with Konerko."  Konerko lives in the Phoenix area during the offseason.  Arizona's first round pick is protected, so they'd give up their second rounder to sign him.  The supplementary round is especially large this year, so second round picks will be pretty far down.

Dodgers Rumors: Padilla, Broxton, Diaz, Accardo

10:50pm: The Dodgers are in talks to re-sign Padilla, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter).

4:00pm: The Dodgers are willing to listen to offers for Broxton, according to Scott Miller of CBS Sports.

11:42am: The Dodgers hope to add two relievers, tweets ESPN's Jayson Stark, with Vicente Padilla one of them.  He says some teams wonder if they'd be willing to move Jonathan Broxton if they add the right arms.  The Dodgers have previously been linked to Jesse Crain, Jason Frasor, and Matt Guerrier.

10:14am: The Dodgers are interested in recently non-tendered players Matt Diaz and Jeremy Accardo, reports MLB.com's Ken Gurnick.

Diaz, 33 in March, could serve as a platoon partner for Jay Gibbons in left field.  The Phillies, Astros, and Yankees are other potential suitors for him.  Accardo, meanwhile, hasn't pitched extensively in the Majors since '07.

Cliff Lee Rumors: Monday

Cliff Lee's agent Darek Braunecker held court today at the Winter Meetings, but didn't say much.  The latest on the lefty:

  • The Rangers are waiting on Lee before moving on to other top free agent targets, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com, who suggests (on Twitter) that the market for Lee is heating up tonight.
  • Seven years is a "dealbreaker" for the Yankees, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, who suggests the team would offer six years (Twitter link). Newsday's Ken Davidoff says the Yankees will likely offer a six-year deal.
  • The Yankees don't plan to offer Lee a seven-year deal, according to Rosenthal (on Twitter). 
  • Lee will receive a seven-year offer, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. At least one club has suggested they’re willing to offer a seven-year deal. 
  • MLB "bigwigs" tell Newsday's Ken Davidoff that they expect Lee to sign a six-year deal (Twitter link)
  • Braunecker met with the Yankees today, but the sides did not discuss money, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (on Twitter).
  • The Rangers were planning to offer Lee a four-year deal, but may have to change their plans, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter).
  • Nats GM Mike Rizzo told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that he spoke to agent Darek Braunecker recently (Twitter link).
  • The Phillies are considering bringing back Lee, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter).
  • Asked about the Red Sox, Braunecker told WEEI's Rob Bradford, "We've talked."
  • The Yankees are expected to meet with Braunecker again today, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney.
  • Braunecker says they have visited with "significantly more clubs" than just the Yankees and Rangers, tweets MLB.com's Bryan Hoch.  Braunecker is in the process of setting up meetings.