Rakuten Golden Eagles Post Hisashi Iwakuma
The Rakuten Golden Eagles have officially committed to posting pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma, relays NPB Tracker's Patrick Newman on Twitter from multiple Japanese media reports. Rakuten can file with the commissioner's office starting November 1st, after which point teams can bid for the exclusive right to negotiate with Iwakuma. Iwakuma will be represented by Don Nomura, who previously served as the agent for Hideo Nomo and Hideki Irabu, among others.
Iwakuma, 30 in April, posted a 2.82 ERA, 6.9 K/9, 1.6 BB/9, and 0.49 HR/9 in 201 innings this year. In August, Newman rated him as "the second best MLB pitching prospect currently active in NPB" in a FanGraphs article. He described Iwakuma as "a fairly standard fastball/slider/forkball righty."
Japanese pitchers coming to MLB have been all over the place in recent years, even focusing on the more expensive ones. Perhaps Iwakuma can emulate Hiroki Kuroda, who gave the Dodgers three years and 497 innings of 3.60 ball for $35.3MM. Unlike Iwakuma, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and Kei Igawa, Kuroda did not require a posting fee. I would not expect an excessive posting fee for Iwakuma, since the winner will also have to negotiate his contract on top.
White Sox Notes: Pierzynski, Manny, Vizquel
Though they fell short of the playoffs, the White Sox won 88 games this year. Notes from yesterday:
- GM Kenny Williams told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune he seeks "balance from the left side" of the lineup. Williams said A.J. Pierzynski could provide that balance, or he could find someone on the trade or free agent market. Luke Scott, Adam Dunn, Prince Fielder, Carl Crawford, Hideki Matsui, Adam LaRoche, and Bobby Abreu are a few of the available left-handed bats.
- Pierzynski told CSN Chicago that he wants to return, but he has to do what's best for him and his family and isn't going to come crawling back.
- Williams told MLB.com's Scott Merkin Manny Ramirez helped others in the lineup and brought life to the team, even if his .319 slugging percentage fell short of expectations.
- Manager Ozzie Guillen told Merkin he'd love to have Omar Vizquel back, suggesting the infielder could play another two years. The interest is known to be mutual.
Boras Well-Positioned For Offseason
Back in February, the Scott Boras Corporation was in the midst of a rough patch. They'd brokered some big deals, sure, but arguably failed clients Johnny Damon, Jarrod Washburn, and Felipe Lopez. Lopez went so far as to fire Boras that month. Since then, things have been looking up for the company. Consider:
- Kendry Morales switched to Boras in February. Morales made the switch with one season to go before arbitration, though his campaign was cut short by a May leg fracture. Still, it's a big addition.
- Boras added another young star that month in Shin-Soo Choo. Choo had another strong year and is heading to arbitration for the first time.
- Tommy Hanson joined the fold in July; he could be arbitration-eligible after the 2011 season depending on what happens with the Super Two concept. Top prospect Desmond Jennings also hired Boras.
- Alex Rodriguez jumped ship in September, though he's signed through 2017.
- Boras recently signed two clients coming off massive walk years: Jayson Werth and Rafael Soriano. Suddenly Boras has the second-best position player and best reliever this winter. He also has Adrian Beltre positioned for another big contract at the perfect time. Carlos Gonzalez broke out; he'll be arbitration-eligible after 2012.
- It's not all roses for Boras, though. He doesn't represent any top pitchers from the upcoming free agent class. And clients Prince Fielder, Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Strasburg, Carlos Pena, Manny Ramirez, Carlos Beltran, Jair Jurrjens all faced adversity this year. Click here for our full list of Boras clients.
Odds & Ends: Iwakuma, Ichiro, Red Sox, Barmes
Links for Sunday evening, with the regular season behind us and the playoff picture defined…
- Angels GM Tony Reagins tells Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times he's "confident we'll be able to add an important piece."
- As passed along by NPB Tracker's Patrick Newman on Twitter, Sanspo reports that a posting announcement will come soon regarding Japanese pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma. The righty, 30 in April, posted a 2.82 ERA, 6.9 K/9, 1.6 BB/9, and 0.49 HR/9 in 201 innings this year for Rakuten.
- Ichiro Suzuki's 10-and-5 rights kicked in today after the Mariners' game, tweets Larry Stone of the Seattle Times.
- In his end-of-the-season press conference, Red Sox GM Theo Epstein indicated fixing the bullpen and retaining important free agents are his offseason priorities (WEEI's Alex Speier reporting). Epstein fielded all kinds of questions and was noncommittal in most cases, but the transcript is still worth a read.
- Clint Barmes would like to return to the Rockies if he can't find an everyday role elsewhere, he explained to Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post. We discussed Barmes' non-tender candidacy in August, and 79% of MLBTR readers predicted he'll be cut loose.
- The Dodgers officially announced Brad Ausmus' retirement with a press release. Ausmus revealed his decision to reporters in July.
Arbitration Eligibles: New York Mets
The Mets are next in our arbitration eligibles series…
- First time: Mike Pelfrey
- Second time: Sean Green
- Third time: John Maine, Angel Pagan, R.A. Dickey
Pelfrey will be tendered a contract after his strong 2010, unless the Boras client signs an extension. He owns a 4.34 career ERA with 43 wins, which should be enough to get him more than $3MM. Pagan and Dickey were a couple of bright spots in the Mets' season, and both will be back next year. In Dickey's case, interest in a multiyear deal appears mutual.
Green missed most of the season with a torn rib cage muscle and a stress fracture in a rib, so he could be retained for a modest raise on top of this year's $975K salary. Maine is operating from a $3.3MM base, and made only nine starts for the Mets before succumbing to a shoulder injury that eventually required surgery. Even at no raise, he's a likely non-tender. Maine would hit the free agent market before his 30th birthday.
Visit The MLBTR Forums
The offseason has officially begun for 22 MLB teams! The free agent filing period won't start until the week of November 1st, but it's never too early to discuss the hot stove possibilities at the MLBTR Forums. We've got over 7,500 members and counting. You'll find areas for actual trade rumors, speculative trades, free agents, the draft, prospects, general baseball discussion, fantasy baseball, and all 30 teams. Sign up today!
Free Agent Stock Watch: Aaron Harang
Aaron Harang may have made his last start as a member of the Reds today, writes MLB.com's Mark Sheldon. The big righty had his outing cut short by a blister, and probably will not make the postseason roster. The Reds are certain to choose Harang's $2MM buyout over his $12.75MM club option for 2011. His best years were 2005-07, when the workhorse tossed 677.6 innings of 3.77 ball. Let's assess his situation.
The Pros
- Even as he started to slip in recent years, Harang's peripherals remained respectable. He's prone to hits and homers, but at least he gets strikeouts and limits walks typically.
- He's highly likely to sign a one-year deal.
- Harang will not cost a draft pick to sign. In fact, he's below a Type B.
The Cons
- He's always been a flyball pitcher. He's also so hittable that many of his frequent home runs allowed will come with runners on base.
- This year Harang's strikeout rate was his lowest since '03, while his walk rate was his highest since '04.
- Harang hasn't reached 200 innings since '07, as he's dealt with forearm and back injuries as well as an appendectomy.
The Verdict
Harang needs a big ballpark, and could join the long list of free agents hoping to rebuild value in San Diego. He could be looking at a base salary in the $3-4MM range for 2011.
Arbitration Eligibles: Florida Marlins
The Marlins come next in our arbitration eligibles series…
- First time: Andrew Miller, Mike Rivera, Burke Badenhop, Brett Carroll
- Second time: Leo Nunez, Anibal Sanchez, Ronny Paulino, Jose Veras, Clay Hensley
- Third time: Dan Uggla, Ricky Nolasco
Uggla and Nolasco are the Marlins' two big names. Under new representation, Uggla is reportedly seeking five years and $58MM against a Marlins' offer of roughly three years and less than $30MM. Uggla could get over $10MM through arbitration, and his free agent years are worth more, so the Marlins will have to do better. Talks with Nolasco have a similar theme. He might be better off going through arbitration, where a $6MM salary seems possible.
Nunez, Sanchez, Hensley, and Badenhop also seem like locks to be tendered contracts. With 55 saves to his name Nunez could jump past $4MM and become a trade candidate. Sanchez sports 30 wins and a 3.76 ERA in 471 innings and will be building upon a $1.25MM base and a strong platform year.
Miller, once a highly-touted prospect, has struggled badly with his control and could be on the bubble. If the Fish tender him a contract in December, they'll be faced with his out-of-options status next spring. Rivera, Carroll, Paulino, and Veras may be expendable. Paulino probably sealed his fate when he snagged a 50-game PED suspension in August.
Free Agent Stock Watch: Jake Westbrook
Jake Westbrook has found the National League to his liking since being acquired by the Cardinals on July 31st. He's provided them with 67.3 innings of 3.48 ball, improving his strikeout and groundball rates. Westbrook would be open to returning to the Indians next year, and the Cardinals could try to extend him next month, but let's analyze his situation assuming he heads to free agency for the first time.
The Pros
- Westbrook has always been a groundball monster, but his 62.8% National League rate harkens back to his best years and would rank second in the league behind Tim Hudson. Teams in homer-happy ballparks figure to target Westbrook.
- He won't cost a draft pick. In fact, he's not even close to Type B status, so the Cardinals have no reason to offer arbitration.
- Westbrook tallied fewer than 190 innings from 2007-09 due to Tommy John and hip surgery and an oblique strain; the missed time could suppress his price.
The Cons
- Some teams may be concerned that Westbrook's improved National League performance wouldn't hold up if he left Dave Duncan's tutelage. That might be unfair; Joel Pineiro was no worse for the wear this year.
- Perhaps Westbrook's asking price will be significant – he's finishing a three-year, $33MM contract and should be one of maybe seven free agent starters coming off a 200 inning season. Hudson received a three-year, $28MM extension from the Braves in November of last year with a much smaller post-Tommy John innings sample.
- Westbrook is not a dominant pitcher. His career K/9 is 5.0 and he's allowed 9.6 hits per nine innings.
The Verdict
Westbrook might be able to find a two-year, $15MM deal in the mold of the contracts signed by Pineiro and Jason Marquis last winter. He'd be wise to jump on an offer guaranteeing multiple years, as GMs figure to remain cautious this winter in general.
Cubs Rumors: Ramirez, Dunn, Payroll
The Cubs are finishing up their first losing season since 2006; of course the focus is on next year. The latest:
- The Cubs "remain intent on taking a run at Joe Girardi," tweets ESPN's Buster Olney.
- The Red Sox "have a lot of interest" in Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez, reported ESPN's Bruce Levine in a chat yesterday. It is assumed Ramirez will exercise his $14.6MM player option for 2011, and the clubs would have to work around issues of a no-trade clause and an assignment bonus. Plus, I imagine the Cubs would have to swing another trade to find someone to replace Ramirez at the hot corner.
- Levine writes that "Adam Dunn is a top priority for the Cubs if they can afford him." We learned last month that Dunn likes Wrigley Field and Jim Hendry, but the slugger made it clear yesterday he's tired of discussing his future.
- Levine notes that Cubs ownership has indicated there will be a slight decrease in payroll for next year. Hendry might have to move a current contract or two to create flexibility.
- Cubs starter Ryan Dempster endorsed Mike Quade as manager, saying to CSNChicago's Patrick Mooney and others, "He’s done a great job and I hope that he’s here longer than just this year (and) managing for us next year because he deserves it." Mooney also spoke to hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo, who's intent on honoring his three-year contract regardless of the team's manager changes.
