Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports shared some Sunday morning notes from Spring Training. Let's check out the highlights….
- With Adam Rosales recovering from December foot surgery, the Athletics would like to add an affordable utility infielder. Even someone like the Tigers' Ramon Santiago would be too expensive for the A's though, so they'll probably opt for an in-house option instead.
- The Yankees figure to start the year with Jesus Montero as Russell Martin's backup in New York. One scout cautions that the team needs to ease the top prospect into an expanded role, as he adjusts to catching at the big league level.
- The Phillies' utility infielder candidates have been playing well this spring, so they may not have to explore a contingency plan even if they expect Chase Utley to miss significant time. According to Rosenthal's sources, the Phils can't take on much salary. If the club were to pursue a player like Michael Young, the Rangers would have to take Joe Blanton and include cash in any deal, which Texas isn't inclined to do.
- With Kyle Drabek and Jesse Litsch the favorites to earn the Blue Jays' two open rotations spots, skipper John Farrell told reporters that Jo-Jo Reyes could crack the 25-man roster as a reliever. Earlier this week, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes examined the possibility of Reyes being a trade candidate.
- Teammate Chone Figgins likens Mariners prospect Dustin Ackley to "a more athletic Todd Walker," a comparison Rosenthal says is more flattering than you'd initially think.
So Ackley is being compared to a more althletic Todd Walker? Interesting.
i forgot todd walker existed
Unfortunately for me, I met him and Kevin Millar at a signing in Rhode Island. Everytime I see that ball I’m reminded of him :x.
Rosales is the man! He can play every position except for catcher and pitcher. And if you let him play those he would do it also. Hope he heals and recovers fast!
Montero’s era may begin.
he’s 3-for-22 this spring with serious defensive issues. for his sake and theirs, the yankees should let him start the year at AAA
For his sake they should also stop pretending he is a catcher and let him hit
Look.. Not trying to knock his defensive issues here, but what was the other choice? Posada and his shoulder issues? Posada’s arem before he got hurt was no better than Varitek, they plan on him being the DH, so if they try and start him at catcher a couple of games a week, he gets hurt..They lose a lousy armed catcher and their DH to boot..
What was the choice other than Montero? Bring in some rehashed AAAA guy? Might as well see what the kid can do a couple of games a week and maybe let him DH and PH for Granderson against tough lefties a few more.
cervelli will return a couple weeks into the season and the job should be his. in the meantime, i’d much rather mess with romine’s development than montero’s. why take posada’s bat out of the lineup at DH (he needs a rest from DHing?) and jones can PH for granderson
How long until Heyman tweets about how pleased Yanks are with Montero’s defense? After Friday’s defensive performance….. Heyman…… the megaphone for the Yankees…. should spew something soon….
Whats with the pot-shot at the A’s acting like they cant afford anyone? They made an offer of $80MM for Adrian Beltre, of course they could afford Santiago, but why would they? Rosales is back in May and Andy Laroche is tearing the cover off the ball. Eric Sogard looks great too. Not to mention is word around town is they might release Conor Jackson and straight up eat the $3+MM contract he has, just like they did with Wily Taveras’s contract last year. Do some homework Rosenthal, you look like an amateur!