SI.com’s Jon Heyman believes that, with Randy Wolf headed to the Dodgers, "Braden Looper becomes the top free-agent starter still available." Let’s take a minute to review Looper’s situation.
- Ken Rosenthal wrote Tuesday that the Orioles have serious interest, but Looper has said that he would prefer to stay in the National League.
- The Rockies pulled out of the running on Wednesday.
- The Dodgers are also probably done pursuing him now that Wolf is in the stable.
- The Cubs expressed mild interest back in January, but we haven’t heard much since.
- Same goes for the Pirates.
Looper, a 34-year-old right-hander, went 12-14 with a 4.16 ERA last year for Cardinals. He has a 3.93 career ERA and is a Type B free agent.