Time for your afternoon snack!
- Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch weighs a reader question: is it time to trade Albert Pujols? As Goold writes, "Ain’t happening, shouldn’t happen (on both sides), but it makes for fine hot-stove jabber." Still, children all of St. Louis (and many adults) rightly shudder at even the hypothetical Pujols trade.
- The Cardinals are looking to bring John Smoltz back, according to the Associated Press. Smoltz had a 4.26 ERA and 40/9 K/BB ratio in 38 innings with the Cardinals, so their interest is understandable.
- The Dallas Morning News' Tim Cowlishaw worries that the uncertain ownership situation of the Rangers will keep the club from making big-ticket improvements for 2010.
- SI's Jon Heyman acknowledges these concerns, but still thinks John Lackey could end up in Texas.
- Ned Yost is interviewing for Houston's managerial job this afternoon, even though the Houston Chronicle's Richard Justice thinks Phil Garner should be the hire.
- And the Washington Nationals keep adding front office personnel.