A few leftovers as the Phillies and Yankees do battle in Game 6…
- According to ESPN.com's Jorge Arangure, recently-defected Cuban first baseman Jose Julio Ruiz has impressed scouts in workouts the past two weeks. The Red Sox and Tigers are known to have some level of interest.
- Dave Cameron of U.S.S. Mariner thinks the M's should "kick the tires" on several undervalued starters this offseason. He lists Ben Sheets, Rich Harden, Carl Pavano and Randy Johnson, among others, as possible targets.
- MASN's Byron Kerr spoke Wednesday with Jim Riggleman, who's hoping to be named the Nationals' permanent manager shortly after the World Series ends. He went 33-42 as Washington's interim skipper last season.
- According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, the Royals have shown "little inclination" that they plan to pick up Coco Crisp's 2010 option worth $8MM.
- Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle lays out some advice for Astros owner Drayton McLane, including this nugget: "Give GM Ed Wade a five-year extension and give him the freedom to reshape the roster and the organization. If there's any doubt he knows what he's doing, check out the 2008-2009 Phillies. Ed Wade acquired the core of those teams."