The Astros inked southpaw Trever Miller on this date in 2006, bringing him back for a second stint with the team. Here's the latest from Houston…
- The Astros have heard from a few teams with interest in Carlos Lee, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Nothing is close however, and Morosi speculates that the Indians could be a fit.
- Interest in Wandy Rodriguez "seems almost nonexistent," reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). Last month we heard that the Astros seemed willing to absorb some of the $25.5MM left on the left-hander's contract to facilitate a trade.
- MLB.com's Brian McTaggart reports that the Astros have signed 16-year-old right-hander Carlos Vasquez and 17-year-old outfielder Edward Santana. An agreement with 17-year-old righty Tomas Lopez is not yet official. All three players are from the Dominican Republic and will report to the team's academy there.
- Keith Law announced (on Twitter) that he will remain with ESPN after interviewing for some front office positions with the Astros last month.
- The Astros have received permission to interview Cardinals regional cross-checker Mike Elias for a special assistant role in scouting, reports Law (on Twitter).
I really think you linked to the wrong Carlos Vasquez.
something to note, over the past 3 years wandy has had an era about half a run lower than garza
lee is negative value, his power is really declining.
“Lee is negative value, his power is really declining.”
That depends on how much salary the Astros eat. He still hit 18 HR last year and had a near .350 OBP. And 117 OPS+. If the Astros eat about 70% he may be appealing to some team.
Isn’t there child labor laws? MLB must be exempt like nike
Well, it is a “kid’s game”.
who would’ve guessed no one would want to pay all of wandy’s contract AND give up prospects? oh yeah, EVERYONE.
Yeah, who would want one of the top 10 or 15 LHSP in the game the last few years for a reasonable contract when people are having to overpay other SP? That would be just silly.
Stewie may be an AL fan. Some people seem to think that Wandy will spontaneously combust if he enters an AL ballpark.
it’s not that i’d think he’d be so terrible, but who has lined up for him? if they’re offering to eat money and still can’t find a partner there’s an issue.
with his talent i’m surprised no one as gotten him yet, especially with how teams are over-paying for starters these days, and these starters, in my opinion, aren’t even as good let alone better than wandy
An informed opinion from someone that’s likely seen Wandy pitch before.
Most people just see the name on the front of his jersey and assume he’s garbage. Wandy is solid. Is he an “ace”? No. Him being an “ace” says more about your team than it does Wandy. On a good team he’s a very good #2 or an outstanding #3.
Whichever team decides to “overpay” for him will be glad they did.
i couldn’t agree more. and yes, i have seen wandy pitch before, multiple times, i’m a huge fan, hes definitely a solid two, on a solid pitching team a phenominal three, very good assessment, probably cause your a stros fan, it would make sense.
Yeah, I’m trying not to be bias in that opinion, but even our good assets don’t get much credit.
When Pence was being dealt he was regarded, by many, as merely a complimentary piece for a contender. It’s quite obvious now that he’s pretty special.
pence, bourn, wandy, all underrated for being on that team, they’re all fantastic talent
The Rockies could really use Wandy Rodriguez. Probably a lot more than any other team could. Jason Hammel is looking to be the teams #2 starter out of Spring Training. Come on. Really?
The indians could use Lee for a one year deal, that’d be really nice
There would be spontaneous dancing throughout the city of Houston (maybe a slight exaggeration) if this were to happen.
Seriously though, Lunhow would be a master Jeddi if he makes this guy and his $18 million go away.
Well, he traded for a Jedi(Lowrie’s nickname from what I’ve seen on Sox forums) so maybe he is a master Jedi.
And I’d settle for getting rid of half of Lee’s $18M. Especially, if paying half nets a better prospect.
Sure, Lee hasn’t been bad here, in fact he’s been exactly as advertised, and a decent citizen to boot. The Astros felt that with a big bat in the ’05 WS, they couldve won it, so they offered big to Soriano and Lee. Thankfully, we got the lesser of the evils, but there are many other places his bloated salary could’ve gone for the last few seasons…