New one from Ken Rosenthal…
- The Padres will ask Greg Maddux again to consider accepting a trade to a team not located on the West Coast. The Dodgers haven’t shown interest.
- One big league source told Rosenthal that the Astros have had "absolutely no dialogue" about Miguel Tejada.
- The Marlins are the most aggressive suitor for Gerald Laird. The Brewers, Reds, and Yankees are also in on the Rangers’ catcher. Rosenthal points out a Doug Melvin connection – Melvin acquired Laird as the Rangers’ GM back in ’02. [UPDATE: Rangers guru Jamey Newberg tells me that it was actually John Hart and Grady Fuson who acquired Laird in ’02, not Melvin.] The Rangers continue to target young starting pitching in return.
- Looks like speculation, but Rosenthal wonders whether the Cardinals would consider re-acquiring Edgar Renteria.
- So far the Orioles have had no success trying to acquire shortstops like Erick Aybar, Alcides Escobar, and Reid Brignac for George Sherrill.