A few notes regarding the Phillies and the Rays, since this is all anyone is talking about today:
- Jim Salisbury of the Philadelphia Inquirer notes that arbitration-eligible Ryan Madson could be in for a nice raise this winter.
- The Biz of Baseball ranked all 30 teams by marginal payroll/marginal win. I’ll let them explain the mathematical details, but unsurprisingly, the Rays win by a healthy margin.
- Howard Bryant discusses Carlos Pena’s success with Tampa and how he resisted requests to change his hitting approach while he was struggling with Texas, Oakland, Detroit, New York, and Boston.
- A lot of writers published stories today on tonight’s scheduled starter for Philadelphia, Jamie Moyer, but Amalie Benajmin in the Boston Globe does an especially nice job following his long, circuitous career.
- And finally, this headline appeared in today’s Newsday: Mets Deeply Regret Letting Kazmir Go To Rays.