Zorilla isn't the only one having a surprise season. From Tampa to Toronto to Seattle, players have surprised us all with breakout starts to the year. Here are just a few of the players to play unexpectedly well so far:
- Ben Zobrist – he's slugging .629 with 15 homers and eight steals
- Marco Scutaro – leads the AL in walks and runs to go along with above-average defense and an .835 OPS
- Edwin Jackson – has kept his ERA under 2.50 after chopping his walk rate by one per nine and striking out as many batters as he has allowed base hits
- Russell Branyan – He has 18 homers already- as many as he's hit in any year since 2002- along with an OPS over 1.000
- Adam Kennedy – hitting .298 with more homers already (6) than he's hit in any year since 2004
Which performance has surprised you most?
Just a note: I'm not talking about established players or prospects who were expected to break out.