What happens after the Nationals select Stephen Strasburg? It's becoming a little clearer. Dustin Ackley is considered the best college hitter available, and scouts like the abundance of arms in the first part of round one. Here are some more details:
- MLB.com's Joe Frisaro reports that Bobby Borchering "could be the choice" for the Marlins, who have the 18th pick in the draft.
- The Rangers are willing to take a high-ceiling arm with their 14th pick, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. Shelby Miller and Matthew Purke are a pair of Texas high schoolers who "are possibilities" for the Rangers.
- MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo places Dustin Ackley on a list of five players who could make an impact in the majors soon after being drafted.
- High school lefty Tyler Matzek will almost certainly be among the first ten selections, according to Baseball America's Dave Perkin. Matzek, who can throw 97 mph, is a "distinct possibility" for the Mariners with the second pick and will be scooped up soon afterwards if the Mariners pass.
- Here's a name to keep an eye on: Perkin calls Henry Owens a "future first-round" pick.
- The Dodgers, picking 36th, believe they can obtain the same sort of player that would be available with a 20th overall pick, according to MLB.com's Ken Gurnick.