Some links for your Friday morning…
- Garrett Atkins hit a pair of homers yesterday, emerging from an extended slump and taking the first step towards restoring his trade value.
- Could Big Papi's struggles be related to a vision problem? Ron Borges of the Boston Herald reports that David Ortiz will get his eyes tested.
- On the Newberg Report Jamey Newberg sees Elvis Andrus as the leader of great Rangers teams to come. Newberg passes along a comment from Baseball America's Jim Callis: Andrus would be "in the mix" for the second overall pick in this year's draft if he were eligible.
- Erik Bedard said on ESPN radio that he loves Seattle and doesn't concern himself with trade rumors. He added that the Mariners haven't approached him about a contract extension, but sounded open to the idea (Hat Tip: Bleeding Blue and Teal).
- Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram points out that if no one wants Vicente Padilla now, he's not likely to be hotly pursued this offseason if the Rangers buy out his $12MM option for 2010.
- Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Pirates president Frank Coonelly maintains the team hasn't given up on 2009. He even says he expects the Pirates to contend.
- Laura Keeley of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that fans are not happy about the McLouth trade in Pittsburgh.