It's a slow night in Rumorville, so let's go a little off-base and talk about players we'd like to see in this year's All Star Game. No, we're not going to bother talking about position players since fans are allowed to vote for those guys, instead let's talk about which pitchers we think should start the game.
Here's some of the deserving candidates from the American League:
- Zack Greinke: 2.00 ERA in 121.1 IP, both tops in the bigs
- Roy Halladay: 2.79 ERA and tied for the league lead with 10 wins
- Justin Verlander: leads the AL with 130 K and the majors with 10.70 K/9
And now, the senior circuit:
- Dan Haren: 113-15 K/BB ratio & 0.81 WHIP are by far the best in baseball, second to Greinke with a 2.19 ERA
- Josh Johnson: 7-1 record with a 2.76 ERA
- Tim Lincecum: leads the majors with 141 K, holding opponents to a .218 AVG
I've only picked a select few, so don't get upset if I'd didn't list the pitchers you think should start the game above. If it was up to me, I'd go with Greinke and Haren. What about you guys?