Next in our Offseason In Review series, the Indians.
Major League Signings
- Russell Branyan, 1B: one year, $2MM. Includes $5MM mutual option for 2011.
- Mike Redmond, C: one year, $850K.
- Total spend: $2.85MM.
Notable Minor League Signings
- Shelley Duncan, Austin Kearns, Jamey Wright, Saul Rivera, Jason Grilli, Anthony Reyes, Brian Buscher, Mark Grudzielanek, Mike Gosling, Luis Rodriguez
Trades and Claims
- Acquired SP Mitch Talbot from Rays for C Kelly Shoppach and cash
- Claimed Rule 5 pick P Hector Ambriz from Diamondbacks
- Acquired SS Brian Bixler from Pirates for 3B Jesus Brito
- Jamey Carroll, Kelly Shoppach, Jesus Brito, Josh Barfield, Tomo Ohka, Jose Veras, Greg Aquino, Vinnie Chulk, Masahide Kobayashi
In Mark Shapiro's last offseason as GM, the Indians' winter hammered home the fact that they're in full rebuilding mode. Free agent spending was limited to a mere $2.85MM for Branyan and Redmond, while the Shoppach trade allows the Tribe to go younger and cheaper with their starting catcher. Otherwise, it was low-risk tinkering with additions like Duncan, Kearns, and Wright.
The Indians' veteran sell-off began last summer and should continue in 2010. Shapiro will defer to Chris Antonetti on decisions affecting the club beyond this year, as Antonetti will become GM after the season. The pair will presumably work to move the team's biggest remaining contracts: Travis Hafner, Jake Westbrook, Kerry Wood, and Jhonny Peralta. The light at the end of the tunnel: ESPN's Keith Law ranks the Indians' farm system fourth in the game.