The unexpected news of Jered Weaver's five-year extension with the Angels elicited a wide range of responses Sunday night. Here are some of the early takes from reporters and pundits:
- The extension is a win for the Angels, tweets Scott Miller of CBSSports.com, as Weaver would have been in line for a big pay day after 2012.
- Likewise, Bob Nightengale of USA Today thinks the extension is a "great deal" for the Angels (via Twitter).
- It's not a steal for the Angels, according to Keith Law of ESPN.com (via Twitter), but he likes the deal for the team.
- Weaver "took control" in his decision to remain in Anaheim long-term, tweets Lyle Spencer of MLB.com.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith of MLBTR reminds us that while the contract appears favorable for the Halos, Weaver was still 14 months away from free agency (via Twitter).
- Weaver could have commanded a nine-figure deal as a free agent, opines Buster Olney of ESPN.com (Twitter link). Olney commends Weaver for spurning the usual tack of Scott Boras clients, which is to go to free agency (via Twitter).
- The no-trade clause in Weaver's deal is a "good get" by Scott Boras, tweets Troy Renck of the Denver Post, who notes that teams typically try to avoid them.
- Weaver's deal sets a ceiling for free-agent-to-be C.J. Wilson, according to Evan P. Grant of the Dallas Morning News (via Twitter).
- Weaver's extension sets a floor for Cole Hamels' contract talks, tweets Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Hamels is a free agent after 2012.
- Ubaldo Jimenez was seeking a similar deal with the Rockies before being traded to the Indians, according to Renck (Twitter link).
I dont know why this would be floor for Cole Hamels’s contract. Hamels is my favorite pitcher, but Weaver is a better pitcher than Hamels tbh.
However, this extension does seem like a bit low for Weaver. I think it’s steal for Angels.
I hope Hamels’s deal to be five years and short of 100Mil.
Nooooooooooo! I don’t want Wilson!
I’d rather keep the pick and invest in Darvish.