Odds & Ends: Lee, Orioles, Cubs, Oswalt, Chipper

Links for Wednesday, before Pedro Alvarez makes his MLB debut…

Joe Nelson Clears Waivers

WEDNESDAY, 2:28pm: ESPNBoston's Joe McDonald tweets that Nelson has cleared waivers, so we should find out tomorrow whether or not the righty will accept a minor league assignment.

FRIDAY, 7:49pm: Nelson hinted at retirement following the move, according to MLB.com's Ian Browne.

"I've got a flight at 7:15, and I'm going to Florida and in all likelihood, if I clear waivers, I've probably thrown my last pitch," said Nelson. "I don't anticipate myself going back to [Triple-A] Pawtucket, but that's emotion talking right now and we'll probably reanalyze it when I'm not as disappointed. I had every opportunity and I didn't produce. The thought of going to Triple-A doesn't sound that great. We'll wait and see what options present themselves."

Nelson battled major arm injuries early in his career, including a pair of surgeries to repair the labrum in his throwing shoulder. He broke through with the Royals in 2006, but has bounced around quite a bit since. Baseball-Reference.com has his career earnings at just under $1.7MM.

2:41pm: The Red Sox designated Joe Nelson for assignment as part of a flurry of moves, according to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe (via Twitter). The team also activated Jonathan Papelbon from the bereavement list, called up Scott Atchison and placed Jeremy Hermida on the DL.

Nelson, 35, had a 9.72 ERA in 8.1 innings this year with 9.7 K/9 and 6.5 BB/9. Those high strikeout and walk rates are characteristic of the ones the right-hander has posted over the course of his six-year MLB career. Nelson posted a 2.49 ERA in 21.2 innings at Triple A this year, with similarly high strikeout and walk numbers.

Berkman’s Preferred Destinations

Despite all the rumors surrounding him and Roy Oswalt, Lance Berkman told Yahoo's Jeff Passan that he doesn't expect to be traded. Berkman has at least $10.6MM remaining on his contract when you include his 2011 buyout, and he realizes that figure scares teams off, especially in this market.

"Teams value their prospects more than they ever have," Berkman said. "I’m 34. I’m not having a great year."

Berkman, who is hitting .238/.340/.392 with six homers, has a no-trade clause, so like Oswalt, he controls his future to an extent. The Angels have a clear need for a first baseman, but Berkman says the Angels "wouldn't be an automatic yes." Berkman would rather go east than west, though that's not his number one consideration.

"There is absolutely no way I would consent to going somewhere that didn’t have a good chance not just to get to the playoffs, but to win the whole thing," he said.

Berkman realizes the Astros are probably not going to pick up his $15MM option for 2011 at this point. Earlier in the month, Jon Heyman of SI.com reported that Berkman would approve a trade if the acquiring team picked up his option. 

Maybin Still Part Of Marlins’ Plans

Mike Stanton's getting all the attention and at least Cody Ross and Chris Coghlan are getting playing time. Cameron Maybin's getting benched, but Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest told Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald that Maybin is a "big time" part of the team's future.

"I'm not sure that's going to happen right now," Beinfest said. "But definitely in the future [Maybin figures in]."

Now, Maybin is struggling. He has a .225/.290/.341 line in 201 plate appearances this year, with five homers. Maybin, who was considered a top-ten prospect by Baseball America leading up to 2007, 2008 and 2009, has the potential to do considerably more on offense. To his credit, his defense has been above-average in about 1000 major league innings.

Beinfest told Navarro that he doesn't believe Maybin deserves a demotion to the minors. Maybin is on track to be a borderline super two candidate after 2011, so the cost-conscious Marlins could prevent him from obtaining super two status by demoting him for a few weeks now.

It seems like Maybin has been in the majors for ages, but like the man he was traded for (Miguel Cabrera) he reached the majors at an extremely young age. Maybin, 23, is younger than prospects like Desmond Jennings and Pedro Alvarez, so he has plenty of time to realize his potential and it's no surprise that Beinfest expects that to happen in a Marlins uniform.

D’Backs Seem Likely To Keep Trading

Now that the D'Backs have started trading, they don't seem likely to stop. That doesn't necessarily mean they are going to rebuild completely, but as GM Josh Byrnes told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the club could be making more deals this summer. 

"There's a good chance, yeah," Byrnes said. "We aren't where we need to be in the standings and as far as sort of the things we'd like to do to adjust the roster, there's also payroll considerations as we try to sort of get ready for next year."

The sooner Arizona trades players, the more money the team can save. The club, which has $44.5MM committed to its 2011 payroll according to Cot's Baseball Contracts, could potentially use savings to spend more aggressively for 2011.

As Dan Haren explained to Piecoro, the D'Backs have "a tremendous amount of talent" and don't need to start over, so he doesn't necessarily want to be traded. However, Jon Heyman reported last week that the D'Backs would listen on Haren and every other player not named Justin Upton or Ian Kennedy.

Click here to vote on which one of the D'Backs will be traded next. 

Red Sox Agree To Sign First Rounder Kolbrin Vitek

TUESDAY, 7:07pm: Vitek has passed his physical and will probably sign his contract on Wednesday, Speier reports. Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that Vitek will receive a $1.36MM bonus, as expected.

FRIDAY, 12:21pm: The Red Sox have reached an agreement with first round pick Kolbrin Vitek, pending a physical, according to ESPN.com's Keith Law (via Twitter). Immediately after Monday night's draft, Vitek told reporters that he had reached a "verbal agreement" with the Red Sox and Alex Speier of WEEI.com reported at the time that the deal would be for slot money. That likely means a bonus worth about $1.36MM for the 20th overall pick, who said Monday that he didn't want to spend much time negotiating.

“I expect to sign right away and get playing and start my career right away,” Vitek said.

The Red Sox spoke to Vitek, a two-way player at Ball State, about playing third base and that's where he expects to play. The 21-year-old Ohio native stands 6'3".

Amateur Draft Signings: Tuesday

We'll probably have to wait a little while for Bryce Harper, Manny Machado and Jameson Taillon to sign, but teams have agreed to deals with some of the players selected later on in the draft. The players listed below signed today. Click here for the list of picks to sign yesterday and here for the updated list of first rounders to sign:

  • The Rangers signed four picks, reports ESPNDallas.com, including third-rounder Jordan Akins and fourth-rounder Drew Robinson.
  • As reported earlier, Toronto signed 14 picks, including supplemental rounders Aaron Sanchez and Noah Syndergaard.
  • Thirteenth-rounder Robby Price is the highest-drafted of the five Rays picks who signed today, reports Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times.
  • Eight more Orioles picks have signed, says Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore SunRiley Hornback (12th round) is the highest selected of the new signees.
  • The Brewers have signed fourth-rounder Hunter Morris and two other draft picks, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
  • LoHud.com's Chad Jennings reports that the Yankees have signed 13 picks, with eight-rounder Kyle Roller the highest-drafted of the bunch.
  • The Padres signed second rounder Jedd Gyorko and fourth rounder Chris Bisson pending physicals, according to MLB.com's Corey Brock (via Twitter).
  • The Royals signed seven more draft picks, including eighth rounder Michael Mariot.
  • The Pirates signed six late round selections, according to MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch (via Twitter).

Mark Polishuk also contributed to this post.

Mets Release Gary Matthews Jr.

The Mets have released Gary Matthews Jr., according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com (via Twitter). The Mets designated the outfielder for assignment earlier in the month and requested release waivers for Matthews over the weekend. The 35-year-old now joins the likes of Rocco Baldelli and Jermaine Dye on our list of free agent outfielders.

Unlike Baldelli, Dye and a number of other free agent outfielders, Matthews has been playing in the major leagues this year. However, his numbers are not good. He posted a .190/.266/.241 line in 65 plate appearances for the Mets. It's not much to draw conclusions from, but Matthews has not hit or defended well in recent years.

Odds & Ends: A’s, Reds, Murton, Maya, Chipper

Links for Tuesday, as Andy Pettitte and Tim Lincecum celebrate birthdays…