Odds & Ends: Anderson, Rangers, Brew Crew
Another batch of links, served fresh…
- According to WEEI's Rob Bradford, the Red Sox have called up Brian Anderson and plan to start him in right field tonight against the Rangers. The former White Sox outfielder was acquired in late July for Mark Kotsay.
- T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports the Rangers are "actively looking for catching help on the trade market" with starting backstop Jarrod Saltalamacchia headed for the disabled list. Arizona's Chris Snyder seems like a good fit, but that's just speculation on our part.
- Brewers GM Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he's optimistic a deal will be reached with supplemental first-round pick Kentrail Davis by Monday's deadline. Davis is an outfielder from the University of Tennessee.
- Check MLBTR out on Twitter for quick updates and a little more conversation. And, if you're so inclined, hit up your boy Drew Silva.
Talkin’ John Smoltz
As Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes, 42-year-old right-hander John Smoltz has not considered retirement and is hoping to join a new team soon, either as a starter or reliever. Here's what we know so far:
Smoltz was designated for assignment by the Red Sox on August 7 after posting an 8.33 ERA and a 1.70 WHIP over eight starts. He refused an assignment to Triple-A Pawtucket earlier this week, and the Sox now have only two days to find a trade partner before they must grant him his release. The Marlins, Cardinals, Dodgers, Rangers and Astros are thought to have some level of interest. SI.com's Jon Heyman has spoken with MLB executives who believe the veteran is likely to end up back in the National League.
There's a chance an interested club will jump in and make a deal for Smoltz before he's released, but it would make more sense for teams to sit tight until Monday, and leave Boston with the remainder of his one-year, $5.5 million contract. A release will also negate all bonuses and incentives tied to that deal.
Red Sox DFA Chris Woodward
As expected, the Red Sox have designated IF Chris Woodward for assignment, says Adam Kilgore at the Boston Globe. He'll leave to make room for the newly acquired Alex Gonzalez. The 33-year-old Woodward played in five games for the Sox after being claimed from the Mariners, going without a hit in seven plate appearances.
Red Sox Agree To Terms With David Renfroe
Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Red Sox have agreed to terms with third round pick David Renfroe on a $1.4MM deal. A star quarterback in high school, Renfroe's bonus will be spread over five years under MLB's provisions for two sport athletes. Callis says the net present value of the deal is under the $1.134MM Boston gave first rounder Reymond Fuentes.
Selected 107th overall, the deal is worth considerably more than MLB's slot recommendation of $294,300. Callis says Renfroe is "a polished hitter with solid power and a plus arm that delivered fastballs that topped out at 95 mph."
Odds And Ends: Meche, Hall, Red Sox, Pirates
Time for another round of links…
- Via Twitter, Jon Heyman of SI.com says the Royals told the Yankees they don't want to trade Gil Meche.
- MLB.com's Mark Sheldon hears that the Reds have "some interest" in the recently-DFA'd Bill Hall.
- Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Red Sox signed 26th rounder Miles Head for $335k, which is more than double MLB's recommended bonus.
- The Red Sox are also nearing deals with David Renfroe and Madison Younginer, whose could each sign for seven figures.
- Callis reports that the Pirates signed 12th rounder Jeff Inman for $425k. Yet another over-slot signing for the Pirates and now Callis says they've been more aggressive than any other team.
Red Sox Acquire Alex Gonzalez
2:55pm: According to their team Twitter, the Reds are sending cash to Boston to help cover the remainder of Gonzalez's $5.4MM salary. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the Reds are sending $1.1MM along. When you figure in the $500k buyout, there's a minimum of about $2MM remaining on Gonzalez's deal.
1:20pm: Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox are sending minor league shortstop Kris Negron to Cincinnati in the deal. The Red Sox selected the 23-year-old in the seventh round of the 2006 draft and he's now hitting .264/.338/.347 with 20 steals in high-A ball.
1:13pm: Tony Massarotti of the Boston Globe says the deal is complete, though the Red Sox have yet to make an official announcement.
1:03pm: Peter Gammons of ESPN.com reports that the Red Sox are finalizing a deal to acquire Gonzalez.
12:17pm: The Red Sox acquired shortstop Alex Gonzalez from the Reds, according to Gary Dzen of the Boston Globe. It's not known what, if anything, the Reds will receive in exchange for Gonzalez, who just cleared waivers. He makes $5.4MM this year and there's a $6MM option on his contract for next year that the Red Sox can buy out for $500k. Dzen expects the Red Sox to release Chris Woodward.
Odds And Ends: Dodgers, Davis, Prospects
More links for the afternoon…
- Jon Weisman of the LA Times reports that the Dodgers could be close to signing Garrett Gould.
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic notes that it looks like Doug Davis is staying put, even though the Brewers claimed him on waivers.
- The recently-traded Josh Bell and Carlos Carrasco appear on this week's edition of Baseball America's prospect hot sheet.
- Tyler Hissey of Around the Majors says the Red Sox did well to acquire the sure-handed Alex Gonzalez, even if he's only a minor upgrade for them.
- Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that Orioles manager Dave Trembley doesn't have to worry about his job security through the end of the season.
Gonzalez Clears Waivers; Red Sox Interested?
Reds shortstop Alex Gonzalez has cleared waivers and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the Red Sox may be interested. The extent of their interest isn't clear, but Rosenthal says they're considering Gonzalez and other options as they try to solidify the shortstop position. Now that Gonzalez has cleared waivers, the Reds can trade him to any club.
Gonzalez, 32, makes $5.4MM this year and is hitting .210/.258/.296.
The Red Sox showed brief interest in Bill Hall. The Brewers haven't yet placed shortstop J.J. Hardy on waivers and it's unclear if they'd trade him now, while he's in the minors.
Odds And Ends: Rays, Astros, Ortiz, Coffey
Some links for Friday morning…
- Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the Rays are nearing deals with several top draft picks, including first rounder LeVon Washington.
- Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle doesn't expect the Astros to lower their 2010 payroll by more than about 15%, though attendance is declining steadily.
- Just like old times. As Adam Kilgore of the Boston Globe reports, David Ortiz is struggling again.
- How does a 22nd round pick sign for $1MM? Cameron Coffey showed improved stuff this spring, but even he had no intention of signing until the Orioles came at him with a $990k offer recently, according to Jim Callis of Baseball America.
- As Callis notes, the Rangers signed fifth round righty Nick McBride for $325k, which nearly doubles MLB's recommended bonus for his slot.
Epstein: Red Sox Pursued Halladay Hard
Red Sox GM Theo Epstein told WEEI that he made the Blue Jays multiple offers for Roy Halladay, but never blew them away. (Here's a transcript from DJ Bean of WEEI.com.)
