Papelbon Back To Pen

It’s not a trade rumor, but it’s somewhat related.  According to ESPN’s Erin Andrews, the Red Sox are expected to announce Jonathan Papelbon‘s return to the closer role today.  Somewhere, Joel Pineiro just shed a tear.  Papelbon hopes to become the next Mariano Rivera.

My guess is that the Sox will use a stopgap solution in the fifth starter spot until Jon Lester is ready, perhaps by late April.  Personally, I like the decision.  Baseball Prospectus’s Nate Silver summed it up well:

"I understand full well that a great starter is more valuable than a great reliever. But in Papelbon’s case, the risk is too high to justify the reward."

Curt Schilling discusses the transition at his blog.  Check out the fantasy ramifications over at RotoAuthority.

Red Sox Scouting Turnbow?

My apologies for the lack of posts today; I had an all-day fantasy draft.  Back to trade rumors: Adam McCalvy of MLB.com had several Brewers ones in today’s article.

To begin with, 26 year-old righty starter Ben Hendrickson cleared waivers and was sent to Triple A.  He was angry about it, perhaps because he had a 2.45 ERA in five appearances this spring.  Apparently the Nationals and Padres are interested, and both the Brewers and Hendrickson look forward to a trade.  According to Baseball America, Hendrickson has a plus curve and an 88-91 fastball.  He may be a Quad-A type player; PECOTA sees a 5.00 ERA and 1.49 WHIP in 109 innings.

The Red Sox had a scout watching Derrick Turnbow on Friday, though Doug Melvin says he’s not shopping the reliever.  Maybe Sox pitching coach John Farrell can fix Turnbow’s walk problem, but it’s a long shot.  Turnbow has two years and $5.5MM left on his contract.  While that extension was ill-advised, it’s not nearly as bad as the Cubs giving Ryan Dempster three years and $15.5MM.  In both cases, fairly small samples of decent control were taken as permanent and rewarded.

McCalvy also mentioned a "lunchroom rumor" that had the Padres looking at Brady Clark. Melvin said he hasn’t heard from the club.  The Crew would love to shed Clark’s $3.8MM salary.      

Schilling Clears The Air

Curt Schilling has a lengthy post on his blog explaining his situation this spring regarding the Red Sox and his 2008 contract.

It sounds like there were no hard feelings.  Schilling surprised the Red Sox by indicating his intention to play in ’08, and the Sox are unwilling to commit $13MM of their free cash to the 40 year-old before seeing him pitch this year.  If it was for less money, the deal might’ve been done. 

Schilling will hit the market after this season and take the best offer, Yankees not included.  The Sox could still bring him back and are his first choice.

I am curious what price would compel the Red Sox to commit now.  In a world where 32 starts of crap are worth $7-8MM, it doesn’t seem a stretch for a rich team to overpay a little on a one-year commitment. 

Olney: Boston Tracking Lidge

In his blog today, Buster Olney mentioned that the Red Sox are still interested in Houston closer Brad Lidge.  This rumor dates back to July.

Lidge’s control and HR rate slipped last year, though he was still dominant in terms of racking up strikeouts.  Olney indicates that the Astros aren’t shopping him and the Red Sox would have to overpay, perhaps with Jacoby Ellsbury, Craig Hansen, and more.

Additionally, Peter Gammons mentioned a couple days ago that Chad Qualls might be a target for Boston.

Marlins Trade Rumors

The Fish might do some minor dealing in the coming days.  Let’s see what they have cooking.

For one, Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel thinks they should bring Armando Benitez back, now that he’s healthy.  He says it would probably only cost the Marlins a million bucks in addition to the player(s) they trade.  Benitez says he hasn’t been in shape like he is now since he played for the Orioles.

The Marlins may have their eye on a couple of Red Sox: center fielder David Murphy and pitcher Kyle Snyder.  The Nationals also have interest in Snyder.  Snyder, 29, hails from Florida for what that’s worth.  He can probably post an ERA below 5 in the NL, so he belongs on someone’s roster.  Murphy still has a chance to become a credible CF, especially if his new build adds a little power.  Houston also likes Murphy.

Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post has another tidbit: though the Marlins scouted Jorge Julio, they’re not close to proposing a deal.

Finally, the Marlins have no interest in Javy Lopez but are drawing interest for outfielder Cody Ross.

 

Gammons Rumors: Qualls, Garland

In today’s blog post at ESPN.com, Peter Gammons slips in a couple of trade tidbits.

While discussing the Boston bullpen, Gammons remarks:

"They’ll keep looking at relievers on other teams — like Houston’s Chad Qualls — and figure they’ll get a mess of innings out of the starting rotation."

Gammons may be speaking in the hypothetical, but he may be implying that the Red Sox are looking into Qualls’ availability.  The 28 year-old righty has been tough to hit the last two seasons, but a K/9 below 6 isn’t closer material.

Another Gammons bullet point regarding the Red Sox:

"The Red Sox were told that Jon Garland is not available. Period."

That suggests they called on him, though I’m not sure at what point.  There’s something to be said for a 210 inning, 4.50 ERA guy to add some stability to the rotation.  The Astros seemed inches from acquiring Garland in December, but got Jason Jennings instead.

Red Sox Inquire On Armando Benitez

One trade tidbit I missed, assuming it was printed elsewhere: the Red Sox recently inquired about the availability of Giants closer Armando Benitez.  As you know, the Marlins were interested earlier this winter.

According to John Shea, Benitez still needs a lot of work to improve his velocity and location (and his location was never that great).  Not that Benitez is any great shakes, but I can’t see how the Giants think they have a surplus of relievers.  They really don’t have anyone who can take care of the ninth inning; I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tim Lincecum closing by June.

As for the Red Sox, Benitez is the ninth sounds like a disaster in the making.  Maybe no more so than Joel Pineiro, but I don’t see the point.  I suppose it’d be a reasonable gamble if Boston only needed to cover his salary.

Helton Meets With Rockies’ Owner

Take it for what it’s worth – Rockies first baseman Todd Helton met with team owner Charlie Monfort on Thursday but declined to comment on the nature of the conversation.  In the opinion of Buster Olney:

"If the Red Sox and Rockies rekindled trade talks, getting a deal done might take about 3.4 seconds, because there was already a structure in place and both sides would have great reason to be motivated to get this done."

And Ken Davidoff of Newsday mentioned today:

"The widespread industry belief is that the Red Sox and Rockies will re-ignite trade discussions involving Todd Helton. The two clubs remain stalled in a game of chicken. Boston doesn’t want to give up any young players with potential, with only expensive veterans Mike Lowell and Julian Tavarez on the table, and the Rockies don’t want to hand over Helton in a straight salary dump."

The Red Sox remain in the catbird seat with this potential deal, as Helton is not a strong need for them in any way. They can just sit back and see if the Rockies cave and pay $40-45MM of his contract to get Manny Delcarmen.

No Boston For Mariano Rivera In ’08

Mariano Rivera, asked whether he could cross enemy lines and join the Red Sox as a free agent in 2008, said, "I don’t think I could do it."  So we can almost officially cross Boston off the list.  Which other clubs might be ready to woo him after this season?

I think the Giants, Rangers, Cubs, and Phillies should be top contenders.  Those are the teams I can see having the need and willingness for an $11-12MM a year closer.  Of course, the Yankees have to be considered the favorite.   

Show all