Random links for the day…
- Joel Sherman notes that Carl Pavano has a chance to help his own cause if he can be mildly useful in September. Pavano will be a free agent after the season when the Yankees buy out his $13MM option.
- The Reds will free up about $30MM in payroll, and Walt Jocketty plans to be active.
- Ben Bolch notes that the Dodgers could’ve blocked the D’Backs’ waiver claim of Adam Dunn. Bolch cites the risk that caused the Dodgers to pass – Dunn’s salary and their outfield logjam. But as readers of this site have pointed out, why not claim Dunn and offer a player of no value? Would Walt Jocketty have chosen salary relief over two draft picks?
- Multiple teams put in claims on reliever Doug Brocail, but the Astros did not want to trade him. The ’Stros are playing for a miracle, as they’re assigned less than a 1% chance of making the playoffs.
- Geoff Baker supported the Mariners’ decision not to trade Jarrod Washburn in July, but now they’ve overplayed their hand.