Linkage for Thursday…
- Viva El Birdos tries to put a price on Rick Ankiel, and decides now is the time to trade him. Ankiel, a Scott Boras client, is eligible for free agency after the ’09 season.
- Derrick Goold runs through the lefty reliever options for St. Louis on his blog. It doesn’t seem like Trevor Hoffman is on the Cardinals’ radar. Hoffman wants to remain a closer, so he won’t be going to San Francisco either.
- Brian Cashman explains that $6MM for one year of Damaso Marte was too much, but $12MM over three years works. Ken Davidoff still doesn’t get it.
- Mike Mussina will make his decision early next week.
- Tony Massarotti runs through best and worst case scenarios for the Yankees and Red Sox.
- Jeff Zrebiec names ten possible free agent targets for the Orioles.
- Omar Minaya spilled the beans to WFAN’s Mike Francesa. He’s not interested in Ben Sheets, but will make an offer to Pedro Martinez.
- The Twins seem more likely to make trades than sign free agents, according to Joe Christensen.
- Could Ted Turner buy back the Braves?