Here are some crumbs from the trade rumor loaf:
- Justin Miller, who spent the past two seasons working out of the Marlins bullpen, has reached agreement on a Minor League contract with the Giants.
- The Pirates signed an 18-year-old shortstop from South Africa, Mpho Ngoepe, a switch-hitting shortstop who made a cameo appearance in the recent Instructional League in Bradenton, Fla.
- The Mariners have signed center fielder Steve Moss to a minor league contact. Moss, 24, was a 2002 draft pick of the Milwaukee Brewers, taken right out of high school. Last year, he batted .299 for the Long Beach Armada and was, according to his manager, ex-Mariner Steve Yeager, the best center fielder in the league.
- Umpbump’s Paul Moro says teams should be wary of Oliver Perez, whose ERA has benefitted from the Mets’ above average defense.
- The team that wins the World Series always cashes in. Will the Phillies have more money to spend this offseason as a result of their championship? And if so, will they spend it on Japanese free-agent pitcher Junichi Tazawa, or on free agent Pat Burrell?