No team in baseball has scored more runs or allowed fewer runs than the Rangers, so it's no wonder they're 13-3. Here are some Rangers-related links as they prepare to host the Yankees…
- GM Jon Daniels tells Tyler Kepner of the New York Times that the team didn't mind potentially overpaying during the bidding process for Yu Darvish. “We said, ‘Here’s how we evaluate him, let’s go to the top of our means, whatever we’re willing to pay,’” Daniels said. “It was not about getting the best possible deal. It was about getting the player. And we had to be O.K. with that.”
- One MLB agent said told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com that Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton has a strong case for an extension, despite his history of off-field and injury issues. "He's done nothing but perform for them, and nothing he's done has affected him there,” the person said. “He's always performed there, and he continues to perform."
- Ivan Rodriguez and the Rangers have discussed the possibility of working together in the future, Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com reports. "It would be good for our organization and he wants to stay involved in baseball, so we're looking forward to working something out," CEO Nolan Ryan said of his former battery-mate. Rodriguez formally announced his retirement today.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports says the Rangers have the best lineup in baseball and may be the best team in the game right now (video link).
- The Rangers released Justin Miller, Anthony Andro of FOXSportsSouthwest tweets. The right-hander has a partial tear of his right UCL. Here's a complete list of the day's minor moves.
Maybe the best team in baseball? Based on the first few weeks, they’re easily the best team in baseball currently.
Better than being the best team on paper
“He’s done nothing but perform for them”
…oh, and sustain several major injuries that cost him significant portions of several seasons.
injuries that derived from his style of play are bound to happen. The reality is that Josh Hamilton when healthy is a top 5 player in the mlb, and it would probably be mutually beneficial for Josh and the Rangers to sign an extension.
The point is that “when healthy” doesn’t seem to happen that often.
I bet if the full amount of that posting for Darvish counted toward this year’s luxury tax, the Rangers would have thought twice. I, too, felt he was going to be a terrific pitcher but it’s just insane to give up that much money just for the right to talk to a player who has never played in the MLB.
It’s worth it considering they prevented other interested teams from signing him and that they wouldnt have paid the posting fee had they not signed him. It’s probably the best place to be in that situation (like with the A’s a few years ago)
Yes he is but I would not give him a monster deal
Any big name free agent is a gamble. Still to early to say if they won or lost but it is putting fans in the seats.
And no team has allowed more runs and scored less than the cubs!
That should not come as a surprise.
It doesn’t really surprise me… I was just sayin
Because it’s funny.
Yu Darnley won’t be good