The Rockies sent Ubaldo Jimenez to Cleveland on this date last year, acquiring prospects Alex White, Drew Pomeranz, Joe Gardner and Matt McBride. Jimenez has pitched to a 5.08 ERA with disappointing peripheral numbers since leaving the Rockies, who are probably pleased they traded him when they did. Here's the latest on the NL West…
- Diamondbacks rookie Wade Miley is not in play as the trade deadline nears, Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com writes (on Twitter). Ken Rosenthal suggested yesterday that the Diamondbacks might listen on Miley.
- ESPN.com's Buster Olney guesses the Reds might be a fit for Lyle Overbay, who was recently designated for assignment by the Diamondbacks (Twitter link). The Reds are expected to pursue Overbay, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports (on Twitter).
- Arizona GM Kevin Towers says he's focused on adding pitching leading up to the deadline, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports (on Twitter). Towers will consider trading a position player for an arm.
- Dodgers pitching prospects Jose Dominguez and Yimi Garcia are drawing the attention of scouts at Class A, Ben Badler of Baseball America writes (on Twitter).
- Former Dodgers general manager Dan Evans explains how the trade deadline works from the perspective of a GM in an article at Baseball Prospectus.
The Rockies may be pleased they got rid of Ubaldo, but they certainly aren’t too pleased with the return on that trade either.
3 guys that are at best back of rotation starters and a poor man’s Ryan Doumit is all the Rockies got.
I still think Pomeranz has a world of potential. Playing at Coors field does not help but I also think tracey’s crazy pitch limit may have wrecked the confidence of White, Freidrich and Pomeranz.
They got rid of clubhouse cancer, payroll, and got plenty of new toys in return.
Why would the Reds want Overbay? Xavier Paul is showing he is a good player. I mean I am ok DFAing Ciaro at this point but that is probably going to happen with any trade. I just don’t see a roster position for Overbay unless the Reds make no aquitions or trade some one on the 25 man roster.