Now that we've had some time to digest the results of last week's MLB amateur draft, and have begun to see team's signing strategies unfold, let's see how MLBTR readers view things. The poll below is simple: choose the team that, in your estimation, had the best draft.
"Best," in this case, does not necessarily imply "most talent," or even "most value." Let's define it this way: the team that best utilized the entire draft process (including the acquisition or sacrifice of picks, as well as the selections made with its picks) to improve its present and future capacity to win baseball games.
Here are a few resources you may want to consider in evaluating this question:
- Baseball America has a useful list showing the draft order, recommended bonus for each slot, and manner by which each pick was obtained.
- Check River Avenue Blues for a similar list that includes the draft picks that teams forfeited by signing free agents who had received a qualifying offer. (Scroll to bottom.)
- ESPN's Keith Law broke down the draft results in two segments: American League and National League. (ESPN Insider subscription required and recommended.)
- Likewise, Baseball America provided a brief narrative for each of the American League and National League teams, in addition to breaking down the draft destinations of BA's top 500 prospects.
- Minor League Ball's John Sickels assessed the draft on a team-by-team basis, broken out by division: AL East; AL Central; AL West; NL East; NL Central; and NL West.