A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR the last seven days:
- Host Jeff Todd welcomed agent Jim Munsey on the latest installment of the MLB Trade Rumors Podcast. Topics included Munsey clients Jarrod Saltalamacchia (recently signed to a minor league contract by the Diamondbacks after being released by the Marlins), injured relievers Sean Burnett and Neil Wagner, and the challenges and rewards of running a smaller agency. A new episode of MLB Trade Rumors Podcast will be released every Thursday and can be accessed on iTunes, SoundCloud, and Stitcher.
- Charlie Wilmoth revisits the flaws in the DFA/waiver system and proposes granting free agency to any player designated for assignment within 60 days of being claimed (like the now-released Alex Hassan).
- Tim Dierkes was the first to learn right-hander Joe Blanton has rejected numerous offers to play in Asia to remain in the Royals organization and continue his bid to return to the Majors.
- Steve Adams was the first to report Cuban second baseman/outfielder Yosvani Garcia has been declared a free agent by MLB.
- MLBTR broke the news first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp opted out of his minor league deal with the Dodgers.
- Steve asked MLBTR readers whether the Astros should be involved in the Cole Hamels trade market. Nearly 43% of you believe they should make a play for the prized left-hander.
- Steve learned left-hander Joseph Ortiz cleared waivers and was outrighted by the Cubs to Triple-A.
- Zach Links put together the best of the baseball blogosphere in Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
- Steve hosted the MLBTR live chat this week.