Here are highlights of the latest from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:
- The Athletics have a $6MM option or a $1M buyout on Jed Lowrie’s services for 2018, and Lowrie says he hopes the A’s retain him. “I love playing here,” he says. “I think being here surrounded by the good young players we have has been fun. So I hope to stay here, but you never know.” It would be eyebrow-raising, to say the least, if the A’s declined Lowrie’s option — he’s batting .276/.358/.444 this season. He could, however, be a trade candidate as the team attempts to find space for youngster Franklin Barreto.
- Red Sox righty Doug Fister, a free agent to be, is being scouted by teams considering adding him over the winter, Cafardo writes. Fister did not sign until May of this season, but Cafardo notes that he’s unlikely to have to wait that long to find a big-league deal in the coming winter. Fister’s 4.40 ERA in 77 2/3 innings this year is similar to those of his last two seasons, but he’s bumped his K/9 from 5.7 in 2016 to 8.0 this season. He’s also fared well in the season’s second half. Those factors could make him a more attractive free agent this time around.
- Dodgers bench coach Bob Geren could be a favorite to take over the Mets managerial job in the likely event that the Mets part ways with Terry Collins. Geren was previously the Mets’ bench coach and is a favorite of Mets GM Sandy Alderson.
- The Orioles, Yankees and Blue Jays have seen Rays righty Alex Cobb up close in recent seasons, and they’ll be interested when he hits the market this winter, writes Cafardo. Cobb will also attract plenty of interest from outside the AL East as well, as he’ll be a good and more affordable alternative to a free agent ace.
- Braves special assistant Bo Porter would have the edge over coach Ron Washington for the team’s managerial job should the Braves part ways with Brian Snitker. Snitker had previously looked very likely to return for 2018, but Fan Rag’s Jon Heyman wrote earlier this week that the Braves were “assessing their managerial situation,” with Porter and Washington (both of them former MLB managers) as possibilities to replace Snitker.
Give Wash the job if you’re making a move! Or at the very least make sure we can keep Wash! Give him bonuses in blow if we have to haha
I was ready to give you a thumbs up until a read the last sentence. As much as I’ve seen addiction issues negatively impact so many people I’ve realized it is no joking matter.
haha It should probably just go to Matt Kemp instead.
You’re not as funny as you think you are
Give him bonuses in blow…….. you’re an idiot….
Maybe he meant Dubble Bubble, bubble gum of baseball.
Orioles won’t spend what it takes to get Cobb. I think he’ll regress a bit but there’s no way we will give up close to 80mil for a starter . Just not Angelos’ MO. He’d be a huge upgrade to what we have, but I just don’t see it. O’s fans unfortunately are going to have to be expecting a little lower
Think he’ll get more than that. Buyer may not get what they thought they would (See Chen in Miami 1st season), but believe Cobb could possibly end up with upwards of 100m with so few capable arms on market that are trustworthy.
Good offseason to not need a SP via FA.
I agree. I’d love to see him on our staff, but he won’t worth what he ends up getting paid. He’s a solid pitcher, but he won’t be pitching in Camden Yards next year.
I suppose he may get more than 80million. He’s never thrown 200 innings in his career though. He’s already thrown more this year (168) than ever before. Chen obviously hasn’t been as durable after the contract but he was before and he’s left handed. But that was 2 years ago so yeah I suppose Cobb could get $100m. Definitely wont be the O’s handing it out.
O’s would be better off approaching Fister.
I don’t think we’d be better off with Fister but he may be more realistic. We’ve passed him up the last few offseasons when he was there for the taking so idk what our interest level is. I’m thinking cashner is a Duquette target. Maybe fister, Jaime Garcia because we desperately need to add a left handed starter not named wade Miley although idk how much better Garcia is. I could see a Cahill or Clayton Richard being considered as well. Although I’m not sure we’d allow Cahill to pass our physical
Id go with Wash.
TylerThe bravos fanatic
TylerThe bravos fanatic
Bo porter ain’t on the field helping every infielder with there fielding everyday like wash
I’d concentrate on getting a rotation piece or two if I were the Braves and stop worrying about Snitker. Wash or Porter could ensure 10 loses by Colon too.
It’s an odd place to be, we have a lot of backend pieces but no 1-2 guys. I wouldn’t go into another season depending on Teheran to be that guy and expect him to surprise. I would have loved to see a Verlander deal, rather than them going after Darvish, Arrieta, etc, but that ship has sailed. Hope the only hope isn’t riding on a Fulmer/Archer acquisition. 3B still needs to be a priority with C at least in the short term being Flowers’.
Hope Sandy looks at Wash, there is a connection from their days in Oakland.
Why is Terry Collins being fired now? Is he supposed to have something to do with the Mets problems?
He’s not. His contract is up this year and he hasn’t decided whether or not he is going to retire yet.
How in the world would Bo Porter be considered a favorite over Ron Washington? Bo Porter did a horrible job in Houston while Ron walked away for personal reasons after he lead the Rangers continually to the top of their division. Bo Porter is a base coach at best.
Bo porter also managed a triple A team in Houston. Washington had one of the best rosters in the game
I think the Rangers had some All Stars but there Roster isn’t as good as most think.. the bench was awful, so every year in the post season they were beyond limited.. go back and check that bench roster and the bullpen and see how many of them have had relevant careers
Bo Porter got fired for winning too much when the Astros were openly tanking. They called it “different visions” or something like that.
Ron Washington will be the new Yankees manager because he knows how to handle younger players.
I’ve read some outrageous posts on here and made a few myself,but this one takes the proverbial cake…COME ON MAN
Not to feed the troll who is saying Ron Washington will be the new Yankees manager but I like Ron Washington and I’ve never seen a MLB manager’s tenure end with the club the way his did, for such a bizarre reason. (It wasn’t for incompetency)
I hope he finds his way back to managing a club soon.
Yea I’d like to see him get another chance soon.
I’d be shocked if Alex Cobb got 80 million. I think a 3/50-60 might make sense, but he seems like a really risky guy to give both length and money.
Ron washington to the mets
Ron Gardenhire to the Mets. He is a former Met with a proven track record. Ever looked at Win Above Expectancy for managers? If Geren had been a favorite, why would he have taken a lateral move? Club wouldn’t have allowed it if they thought he had something to offer.
Orioles don’t know Alex Cobb from Bob Cobb, definitely not spending the $ to get him. O’s fans look forward to another season on Miley, Tillman and a suspect of the year. They’ll lead the league in # pitches thrown.