Here are the latest undrafted free agent signings from around the majors. Reminder: $20K is the maximum an unpicked player can receive this year…
- Lamar infielder J.C. Correa will sign with the Astros, according to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com. He’ll join his brother, star shortstop Carlos Correa, in the Houston organization. The Astros drafted J.C. Correa in 2018 (33rd round) and ’19 (38th), but he decided not to sign on those occasions because he wanted to earn his degree first. He slashed .315/.368/.469 and swatted 10 home runs over 304 plate appearances at Lamar.
- Indiana University outfielder Elijah Dunham announced Wednesday that he has signed with the Yankees. Dunham, who didn’t sign after the Pirates selected him in the 40th round in 2019, cracked the top 250 pre-draft rankings of ESPN’s Kiley McDaniel this year and checked in at No. 186 on Baseball America’s list. BA writes that Dunham carries a “balanced offensive profile in a corner outfield spot.”
- The Braves have added a local product in University of Georgia shortstop Cam Shepherd, Baseball America tweets. He was BA’s top available undrafted senior, and the outlet ranked him as the 298th-best prospect entering the draft. His stock has fallen in BA’s eyes from a year ago, though, as it had Shepherd as the 97th-rated pre-draft prospect then. The Rays took Shepherd in the 20th round in 2019, but he opted against signing.
- The Indians have signed Fresno State left-hander Jaime Arias for $20K, Paul Hoynes of cleveland.com tweets. Primarily a reliever in college, Arias pitched to a 3.56 ERA with 9.3 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9 in 139 innings.
- The Red Sox have added Grand Canyon University first baseman Cuba Bess, Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe reports. Bess slashed .313/.425/.517 with 12 home runs in 348 PA as a collegian.
- The Marlins have picked up Air Force outfielder Ashton Easley, per Craig Mish of Sports Grid. Easley was a .301/.364/.512 hitter with 17 homers across 619 PA in school. The club has also signed VCU infielder Brett Norwood, who batted .303/.425/.440 with seven HRs in 299 college PA.
- The Twins have inked UNC-Wilmington southpaw Zarion Sharpe, La Velle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune writes. Sharpe stayed in school despite going to the Cardinals in the 19th round a year ago, and he tossed 20 2/3 frames of 2.18 ERA ball with 8.7 K/9 against 3.5 BB/9 this season.
shame on you, arte. sell the team!
JC’s middle name is Carlos. would make for a fun duo if they are ever on the same team
Rougned Odor has a brother named Rougned Odor who also plays for the Rangers
Lol no way. Does he also hit .200 and get on base at a .250 rate?
Anxiously Awaiting the confusion of Victor Mesa and Victor Victor Mesa
Cuba Bess has a weird profile for a top college player. He barely played his freshman and sophomore years then was quite good his Junior year hitting 11 HRs and they started out his senior year on a tear hitting well over .400. Will be interesting to see if he develops into anything for the Red Sox!
Viz – only one of these players has been reported on mlb trade rumors
the RedSox have signed:
Jacinto Arredondo RHP Tampa
Jordan DiValerio RHP St. Joseph’s
Jake MacKenzie IF Fordham
Juan Montero C Puerto Rico Acad.
Graham Hoffman RHP South Florida
Jose Garcia C/1B Florida International Henry Nunez Rijo RHP Puerto Rico
Cole Milam RHP SIU-Edwardsville
Merfy Andrew RHP St. Thomas
Brian Van Belle RHP Miami
Maceo Campbell RHP Longwood
Cuba Bess 1B Grand Canyon
So just because you have not seen it here does not mean they have not signed anyone…..I honestly do not know why I bother with this site…..probably to laugh at all the stupid comments….
angels have signed none. that is no udfa. he fulloughed every scout w/o pay.
In all fairness they are not the only team. Tampa Bay who you expected would sign guys have not.
But they still have Mike Trout
Biggest problem the Angels have is a lack of quality Starting Pitching.,
Angels lack starting pitching…..that is part of the reason I do not like the idea of expansion. There is nowhere near enough good starting pitching to go around, but maybe if mlb can stop the cheating so that the batters do not know what is coming we will see ERA and WHIPs improve and not have to watch10-0 games.
Hello, Tigers. Wakey wakey.