Some notes on prominent injury situations around the American League:
- Twins’ manager Rocco Baldelli provided encouraging updates on a trio of injured players, via Do-Hyoung Park of MLB.com (Twitter links). Star third baseman Josh Donaldson and center fielder Byron Buxton are seemingly nearing their returns, with each scheduled to play in an intrasquad game at the team’s alternate training site this afternoon. Right-hander Cody Stashak is evidently a bit further behind, but he’s lining up for a bullpen session soon, Park reports. If all goes well, he could be back on the active roster shortly thereafter.
- Blue Jays’ closer Ken Giles will throw a live batting practice session tomorrow, reports Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet (Twitter link). An impending free agent, Giles has been limited to two appearances this season by a forearm strain. Fellow right-handed reliever Jordan Romano, who looked on his way to breaking through as one of the game’s top strikeout artists before going down with a strained finger, has not yet progressed to throwing, Nicholson-Smith adds. The Toronto organization hopes he’ll be able to return this year, though.
- Royals’ reliever Ian Kennedy is headed to the 10-day injured list with a left calf strain, the club announced. He’ll have an MRI tomorrow, reports Jeffrey Flanagan of MLB.com (Twitter link). So continues a nightmarish season for the 35-year-old, who has allowed 17 runs (14 earned) in 14 innings. 2020 is the final year of Kennedy’s five-year, $70MM contract.
- The Red Sox are sending reliever Darwinzon Hernández to the 10-day injured list with a sprained AC joint, via Alex Speier of the Boston Globe (Twitter link). The hard-throwing southpaw missed the first three weeks of the season after testing positive for COVID-19, limiting him to three appearances. They’ve been more of the same for Hernández, who continues to rack up otherworldly strikeout totals while issuing an alarming number of walks.
- Rougned Odor is headed to the Rangers’ 10-day injured list with an eye infection, per Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News (Twitter link). In his stead, shortstop Elvis Andrus is returning from an IL stint of his own. The Rangers discussed an Odor deal with the Red Sox earlier today, but the underperforming second baseman will instead remain in Arlington.
Ducky Buckin Fent
Lotta baseball news. Pretty busy deadline.
Can’t help but acknowledge that today was a tad boring as a Yankee fan, however.
Thought when I read “AL Injury Notes” I’d finally see something Yankee related.
Hey!, sometimes no news *is* good news. 😉
wild bill tetley
Their deadline deals are the IL players when they return I guess?
Ducky Buckin Fent
That’ll certainly be the spin.
It’s not without merit, either.
I was hoping for a bullpen arm. Not just for this season. Kahnle out w/ TJS. Ottavino will be a free agent. Britton could opt-out. Some of the younger arms look promising, for sure.
But I think Cashman has a good formula to be competitive year in year out. A top 3 offense, & a pen that goes 5-6 deep is always going to be dangerous in today’s game.
I did like Bradley and Givens as targets. Alas.
More than likely most teams were demanding Garcia, Schmidt, Frazier or Andujar and Yankees not quite ready to deal any of those players yet.
world revolves arround the Yankees…
There was a tweet from an undisclosed gm that they didn’t trade for Lynn because Texas was asking for too much. Texas apparently asked for two young MLB ready guys, and two up and coming highly ranked prospects. I can guess the trade.
Lynn to the Yanks for
And if that was the trade, I could see why the Yanks wouldn’t accept.
Royals fans have to be disappointed that Dayton Moore didn’t move Kennedy last year before the deadline. His value was high as a converted closer. They weren’t contending last year and could not have realistically contended this year. So why keep him? Now he’s hurt and KC gets nothing from their investment.
Same is true of Soler. KC could get a big return for that guy. Perhaps they’re trying to stay true to their every 30 year window (1985 and 2015 rings).
Eye infection for Odor? Pink eye?
He’s been sniffing too many pillows that his teammates farted on…