Braves Agree To Terms With Dominican Right-Hander
The Braves agreed to terms with Dominican right-hander Mauricio Cabrera, the team confirmed to MLBTR. The sides agreed to a high six-figure deal, according to a second source. Cabrera, a slender 16-year-old, drew interest from several other teams, including the Red Sox, Mets, Rockies and Rangers, before agreeing to terms with the Braves.
Cabrera’s older brother, Alberto Cabrera is a prospect in the Cubs’ system. The elder Cabrera, now 21, has a 6.42 ERA in 40.2 innings at AA Tennessee this year. The international signing period began Friday, so teams can now sign this year's top young international players.
Hinch ‘Disappointed’ D’Backs Did Not Succeed
Nine walk off losses. A bullpen ERA approaching 7.00. Zero innings from Brandon Webb. There are lots of negatives for the 2010 Arizona Diamondbacks and A.J. Hinch knows his club could have done better, but he is not going to focus exclusively on the team’s failures.
“There were a lot of high times in the last couple of years,” he told reporters on a conference call Friday. “We just didn’t find those high times enough and weren’t able to maintain that momentum enough.”
For a manager who lost 34 more games than he won and found himself under scrutiny from the day he won the manager’s job to the day he lost it, Hinch recalled a whole lot of highlights: Edwin Jackson’s no-hitter, informing Dan Haren and Justin Upton that they made the 2009 All-Star team and seeing Barry Enright win at the major league level. But a 31-48 start to the season and an overall mark of 89-123 under Hinch have a lot of Diamondbacks fans wondering ‘what if.’
“I try not to play the ‘if’ game,” Hinch said. “I’m not into ifs or moral victories. Certainly things could have been different and I’m disappointed that it wasn’t. I’m grateful for the opportunity I was provided and I’m glad that I accepted the challenge.”
Josh Byrnes, the GM who offered Hinch the challenge, got fired along with his manager last night. When Byrnes hired the longtime catcher as a 34-year-old rookie manager last year, many questioned the decision to hand an important position to such an inexperienced candidate. But Hinch, who worked under Byrnes in Arizona’s front office after an eight-year playing career, says he was ready for the job – the wins just weren’t there.
“Not everything ends well in sports,” Hinch said.
Hinch’s career in sports is almost certainly not over. He’s still just 36 and though he says he needs some time to ‘digest’ all that has happened since his playing career ended in 2004, he knows one thing about his future.
“I’m very confident that it’s going to be in baseball,” Hinch said, adding that he could return to a front office role. “I love baseball.”
The Diamondbacks have a more certain future than their former manager. Tonight Kirk Gibson takes over as interim manager against the Dodgers, and Edwin Jackson starts for the first time since he threw 149 pitches in his no-hitter. And even though Hinch plans to slow down soon, he won’t relax until tomorrow.
“I’ll be watching carefully tonight,” Hinch said.
Jeremy Reed Declares Free Agency
The Blue Jays outrighted Jeremy Reed to create space on their 40-man roster and the utilityman refused the assignment and elected free agency, according to the team (via Twitter). Reed, 29, picked up three hits in 21 at bats for the Jays this year, walking twice and hitting one home run. He played left, right and first base, though most of his MLB experience has come in center field.
Reed has a .253/.311/.356 line in parts of seven seasons with the Mets, Mariners and Blue Jays and UZR/150 suggests that Reed has been an above-average center fielder in his career. He joins outfielders such as Rocco Baldelli, Cory Sullivan and Jermaine Dye on our list of current free agents.
Odds & Ends: Tracy, Braves, Brewers, Phillies
Links for Friday, as the international signing period begins…
- Chad Tracy's agent told MLB.com's Bill Ladson that his client has interest in playing for Mike Rizzo's Nationals, since Rizzo, Arizona's former scouting director, drafted Tracy in 2001 (Twitter link).
- You can listen to MLBTR's Tim Dierkes talking trades on the YES Network's Off the Wall podcast right here.
- Earlier in the week we heard that the Braves weren't crazy about David DeJesus and that remains true, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (Twitter link). Morosi says the Braves are not pursuing DeJesus or Jose Guillen.
- The Brewers would listen to offers for Todd Coffey and Carlos Villanueva, according to Ed Price of AOL FanHouse (via Twitter).
- Assistant GM Scott Proefrock told Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that the current edition of the Phillies has to perform. Chase Utley will miss eight weeks or more and Placido Polanco will miss three to four weeks, so the Phillies’ depth will be tested if they don’t make a trade.
- As expected, the Yankees promoted Dustin Moseley, according to Conor Orr of the Star Ledger. Some teams called the Yankees to inquire about the righty's availability as his opt-out date drew nearer.
- One GM who just did an overview of the Royals' farm system told ESPN.com's Buster Olney that he's impressed by the team's prospects.
- D'Backs president Derrick Hall says the team won't likely start searching for a permanent GM until the offseason, according to Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times (via Twitter).
- Not surprisingly, the D'Backs have yet to ask the Dodgers for permission to interview assistant GM Logan White, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter).
- Red Sox supplemental rounder Anthony Ranaudo is looking to be paid like a top-ten pick, according to Amanda Comak of the Cape Cod Times. Check out the complete list of first rounders to sign right here.
- The Brewers released Triple A outfielder Trent Oeltjen, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
July 2 Rumors: Phillies, Twins, Cubs, Blue Jays
The international signing period opens today and we'll keep track of the rumors and news right here:
- The Phillies signed Venezuelan shortstop Francisco Silva for about $200K and the Twins agreed to sign Reyson Zoquier, a Dominican lefty, according to Ben Badler of Baseball America.
- The Cubs agreed to sign Dominican shortstop Daniel Sanchez for a mid six-figure bonus, according to Ben Badler of Baseball America.
- ESPN.com’s Keith Law hears that the Blue Jays are expected to spend aggressively on international prospects this summer.
- The Blue Jays have been tied to Gabriel Cenas, a Venezuelan third baseman and Pedro Perez, a Colombian third baseman, according to Law.
- They are also in on Eskarlin Vazquez, a Dominican outfielder who has captured the Giants’ attention. Law predicts Vazquez will get one of the summer’s top bonuses.
- The Mariners are expected to sign Philips Castillo, another Dominican outfielder who should command a top bonus, according to Law. The Mariners have also been linked to Jose Torres, a Colombian right-hander.
- Law has heard that the Royals are in on Jeffrey Baez, a speedy Venezuelan outfielder.
A’s Claim Jeff Lyman
The A's claimed Jeff Lyman off waivers from the Braves, and optioned the right-hander to AA, according to an A's press release. Lyman, 23, was the Braves' second round selection in the 2005 draft. He had been pitching at Triple A Gwinnett for the Braves, where he posted a 4.72 ERA in 34.1 innings.
Control has been an issue for Lyman throughout his career and the first half of 2010 has been no exception. He posted 6.0 BB/9 with 6.8 K/9 at Triple A this year. Overall, Lyman has a 4.50 ERA in nearly 500 innings of minor league work.
A’s To Sign Three Venezuelans; One Gets $2.2MM
The A's signed Venezuelan third baseman Renato Nunez for $2.2MM, an international source tells Ben Badler of Baseball America. The powerful 16-year-old was considered one of the top Venezuelan hitters by international scouts. Baseball America has video of Nunez, who is the first major signing of this year's international signing period.
The A's announced that they agreed to terms with two Venezuelan left-handers, plus Nunez. Anderson Mata, 17, and Jose Torres, 16, will join the A's organization. It's worth noting that this is not the Jose Torres who Keith Law described in a July 2 article for ESPN.
Marlins Inquired On Octavio Dotel
The Marlins have asked the Pirates about Octavio Dotel, according to Ed Price of AOL FanHouse. Marlins relievers have combined for a 4.66 ERA and though Dotel's 4.55 mark doesn't appear much better, he is a reliable arm who still strikes more than one batter out per inning (though he is walking a characteristically high number of hitters this year). Dotel has 17 saves, while the Marlins have blown 12.
The 37-41 Marlins trail the Braves by 8.5 games in the NL East. They opened the season with a $47MM payroll, even after they were prompted to raise their payroll, so adding Dotel's $3.25MM salary will be a consideration. A trade wouldn't necessarily mean a payroll increase, though; the Rangers and Giants showed this week that payroll-neutral deals are possible. The Pirates' $4.5MM option for 2011 becomes mutual if he is traded, so the Marlins would not have the rights to him after this season if they made a deal.
The Marlins have been looking for relievers for months and their search recently led them back to Armando Benitez. There's no indication that the Marlins are serious about acquiring Dotel, or even that they have decided to be buyers this summer. They and others teams considering relievers may pursue arms such as Scott Downs, Jason Frasor, Kevin Gregg, Matt Capps, D.J. Carrasco, Kerry Wood and Joakim Soria this month.
Heyman On D’Backs, Astros, Royals, Soriano
You thought Cliff Lee was drawing a lot of interest now? One GM told Jon Heyman of SI.com that 12-15 teams could show interest in the Mariners lefty before the July 31st trade deadline. Here are the rest of Heyman’s rumors, as we wonder which teams are going to be calling Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik about Lee:
- The D’Backs, who just fired their GM, are talking to clubs about five players, including Dan Haren. Rival GMs agree that Arizona would have to be “overwhelmed” to move Haren, but the D’Backs are seriously considering dealing Adam LaRoche, Kelly Johnson and Chad Qualls. They are also listening to offers for Edwin Jackson, who authored a no-hitter over the weekend.
- Interim manager Kirk Gibson and interim GM Jerry Dipoto appear to be candidates to take on their responsibilities on a more permanent basis.
- An executive told Heyman that “just about everyone but Hunter Pence” is available on the Astros. Not surprisingly, one GM told Heyman that no team will take on Carlos Lee and his contract.
- A rival GM believes the Royals would deal Joakim Soria and another GM believes David DeJesus is better than Curtis Granderson or Johnny Damon.
- The Cubs would love to move Alfonso Soriano, according to a GM.
- There has been no noticeable progress between the Brewers and Prince Fielder on an extension, but at least one executive doubts that Prince would fetch much of a return in a trade.
A’s Sign Boof Bonser
The A's signed Boof Bonser to a minor league deal, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, who notes that Bonser will go to the minor leagues and start (Twitter links). The 28-year-old elected free agency last week after the Red Sox designated him for assignment. A groin injury has limited Bonser to two appearances so far this year; he allowed six hits and walked a pair in his two innings of work.
Bonser, a former first rounder, has not proven himself since missing the 2009 season with shoulder surgery. To his credit, the right-hander posted standout strikeout (7.3 K/9) and walk (2.9 BB/9) ratios in his three-year stint with the Twins.
