Chien-Ming Wang Rumors: Thursday

Chien-Ming Wang's agent says his client does not have a formal or informal deal in place with the Nationals, writes Chico Harlan of the Washington Post. Alan Nero says recent reports that indicated a deal was in place are inaccurate.

"We haven't finalized anything with anybody," Nero said.

The Dodgers are no longer pursuing Wang and the Nats appear to be favorites to add the 29-year-old, but Nero says we shouldn't expect a deal for a week or so.

Glavine To Retire, Takes Job With Braves

Tom Glavine is expected to retire and take a job as a special assistant to Braves president John Schuerholz, writes MLB.com's Mark Bowman. The future-Hall of Famer will help his former team with baseball and business projects and contribute to radio and TV broadcasts.

Glavine will retire with a pair of Cy Young Awards and a 3.54 ERA in over 4400 innings of work. The ten-time All Star and 1995 World Series champion won a total of 305 games, thanks in part to five 20-win seasons. Glavine didn't pitch in the majors last year, so he will likely enter the Hall of Fame in the same class as longtime rotation-mate Greg Maddux.

The Braves signed Glavine to an incentive-laden deal last year, one that would have paid the lefty $1MM for making the team. The Braves released Glavine instead and the pitcher contemplated a grievance before taking the rest of the year off in spite of interest from other clubs.

Wang Has Offers, Could Sign Soon

5:04pm: MLB.com's Bill Ladson reports that the Nationals are "aggressively pursuing" Wang, and that they are one of the finalists for his services. Ladson adds that it's unknown if they've made him an offer, though.

4:02pm: Chien-Ming Wang has received offers from two clubs and could sign soon, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The Mets and Dodgers are not among the teams to offer Wang a contract. Rosenthal hears that the 29-year-old Wang would like to play for Joe Torre again, but Torre's Dodgers are lagging behind in their pursuit of the right-hander. As for the Mets, they're even further behind than the Dodgers.

The Orioles have discussed Wang and the Cardinals, Nationals and Phillies have all been connected to him this offseason. Rosenthal says the Blue Jays were in on Erik Bedard and wonders if they could pursue Wang, too.

Wang, who is recovering from arthroscopic shoulder surgery, will likely make a decision within a week or ten days.

Finding Jobs For Aging, Positionless Players

Let’s consider Jermaine Dye. He hit 27 homers last year and played at least 137 games for the sixth consecutive season. But a GM who considered signing the 36-year-old tells Tom Verducci of SI.com that he backed off when he determined that Dye was essentially a DH. 

The GM says "the subjective and objective defensive measurements" mean Dye’s value is considerably lower than it would have been even a few years ago. In other words, Dye's poor defense is going to cost him.
 
Dye isn’t the only one whose value has sunk. It’s no coincidence that old, positionless players like Carlos Delgado, Garret Anderson and Gary Sheffield are still free agents, too. 

Teams want young players who can play defense. One GM says it makes sense for teams to think twice about signing older sluggers.

“With age and defense — and teams have different ways of measuring defense — the information and emphasis is somewhat legitimate,” he said.

Some veterans – Craig Counsell and Omar Vizquel, for example – add value on defense and find jobs. But it's becoming harder for one-dimensional players to do the same.

Orioles Have Some Interest In Jarrod Washburn

The Orioles have some interest in Jarrod Washburn, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. However, Morosi's source says that Scott Boras would have to lower his client's price "pretty far" for the Orioles to become serious bidders for Washburn. 

We've been hearing for a while that Washburn would prefer to pitch for the Twins or Mariners. Playing in the AL East would be a difficult way for the lefty to re-establish his value.

The Orioles are unlikely to add Todd Wellemeyer, Braden Looper or John Smoltz, according to Morosi's source. Two clubs who are looking for bargain starters: the pitching-deep Blue Jays and the Mets.

Rockies Unlikely To Sign Beimel Or Wellemeyer

The Rockies are not likely to re-sign Joe Beimel or add Todd Wellemeyer. Beimel tells Troy Renck of the Denver Post that he doesn't expect to re-sign with the Rockies, despite a successful stint with the team last year. The lefty, who didn't sign until March 18th last spring, says he's happy to wait for the right offer.

Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd tells ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that the club has 'no interest' in Todd Wellemeyer (Twitter link). Wellemeyer listed the Rockies as a possible fit last week, but the 31-year-old right-hander will have to look elsewhere for a job. The Giants, Mets, Phillies and D'Backs have all been linked to Wellemeyer.

The Rockies have plenty of starting pitching already. Ubaldo Jimenez, Aaron Cook, Jorge de la Rosa, Jason Hammel and Jeff Francis should figure prominently in a rotation that could also include Franklin Morales and Tim Redding.

Mets Claim Jason Pridie

The Mets claimed Jason Pridie off waivers from the Twins, according to a team press release. The move opens up room on the 40-man roster for recent acquisition Orlando Hudson. Pridie, 26, has appeared in 11 major league games, all for the Twins.

Last year Pridie hit .265/.295/.382 in 546 plate appearances in his second full season at Triple A. The Twins obtained him in the 2007 trade that sent Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett to the Rays for Brendan Harris and Delmon Young. Minnesota added potential outfield depth today, signing Jacque Jones

Twins Sign Jacque Jones

The Twins signed Jacque Jones to a minor league deal with an invitation to Spring Training, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. Jones, 35 in April, sat out last season after hitting poorly in 2008. He hit one homer and posted a .147/.239/.207 line for the Tigers and Marlins that year.

The outfielder's best seasons came in Minnesota, where he was a regular from 2000-05. Jones' last productive year came right after he left the Twins. He hit a career-high 27 homers for the Cubs in 2006 with an .833 OPS. That marked the fourth time in five seasons he reached the 20-homer plateau.

The Twins have Delmon Young, Denard Span, Michael Cuddyer, Jason Kubel and Jim Thome around already. To make the team's Opening Day roster, Jones would presumably need to win a job from Brendan Harris, Nick Punto or Alexi Casilla or see one of the team's regulars get injured. Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune writes that Jones is willing to play in the minors if he doesn't make the team.

Brewers Sign Scott Schoeneweis

The Brewers signed Scott Schoeneweis to a minor league deal with an invitation to Spring Training, tweets MLB.com's Adam McCalvy. The lefthander will earn $800K if he makes the Brewers' roster. The D'Backs, who traded for Schoeneweis last winter, decided not to offer him arbitration after the season.

Schoeneweis struggled through the 2009 campaign, dealing with the death of his wife and pitching just 24 innings. His stats (5.3 K/9, 4.9 BB/9, 7.12 ERA) were not good, but the Brewers will likely give the 36-year-old the chance to become their second lefty reliever, tweets McCalvy.

As McCalvy noted last week, 24-year-old Rule 5 draft pick Chuck Lofgren could make the Brewers as a left-handed reliever. The Brewers will have to offer Lofgren back to the Indians if he doesn't make the team. He pitched 98.1 innings at AAA last year, striking out 5.7 K/9 and walking 3.0 K/9.

Rockies Sign Melvin Mora

The Rockies officially signed Melvin Mora to a one-year deal worth $1.3MM today. It became clear that Colorado was a finalist for Mora's services when Orlando Cabrera signed with the Reds

Mora, who turned 38 this week, hit .260/.321/.358 for the Orioles last year with eight homers. He spent all of his time at third base last year, where his defense was slightly above average, according to UZR/150. He has experience at all three outfield positions, short and second, too. The Rockies figure to use Mora at third, short and second to spell Ian Stewart, Troy Tulowitzki and Clint Barmes.

Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com broke the news before adding the salary details, both via Twitter.

Mike Axisa contributed to this post.