More Reactions To The Alex Rios Trade
More reactions to the biggest deal we've seen this August…
- ESPN.com's Keith Law says the White Sox can afford Alex Rios since they have a hole in center field, salaries coming off the books and a deep enough system to afford the price of "no players."
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post says the White Sox are making risky, fascinating moves.
- Danny Knobler of CBS Sports doubts the Blue Jays can win next year, even with Roy Halladay around. It takes a special team to win in the AL East and Knobler suggests the Jays don't have enough talent.
- White Sox GM Kenny Williams picked up a $56 ticket for jaywalking in Seattle yesterday, according to MLB.com's Christian Caple. He committed a million times as much to Alex Rios.
- Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reminds us that the Giants at least considered a Tim Lincecum–Alex Rios swap less than two years ago.
Rosenthal On Bell, Mets, Padilla, Braves
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the Dodgers were on the brink of acquiring Heath Bell before the July 31st trade deadline. The Padres will listen to offers for Bell and Adrian Gonzalez again after the season, but they're under less pressure to deal those players with Jake Peavy's contract off the books. Here are the rest of Rosenthal's rumors:
- The Mets are not considering replacing Omar Minaya with assistant GM John Ricco right now, but we could see Ricco deal with the media more.
- A pair of NL teams, possibly the Dodgers and Brewers, are "kicking the tires" on Vicente Padilla. Teams are more likely to wait for him to clear waivers than strike a deal now, however.
- The Braves offered Casey Kotchman to the Pirates for Adam LaRoche before acquiring LaRoche from the Red Sox.
- The Rays and Rangers have been claiming players off of waivers aggressively.
- Rosenthal notes that the Rockies' revamped 'pen has pitched well so far.
Alex Rios Claimed; Trade Next?
MONDAY, 5:26pm: According to MLB.com's Jordan Bastian, Blue Jays manager J.P. Ricciardi has just called a pre-game press conference. Bastian wonders if it'll involve news on the Rios situation. Stay tuned.
SUNDAY, 5:01pm: Ken Rosenthal says that Jays have to let Rios go, regardless of what kind of return – if any – they receive. Freeing up $58.7MM over the next several years is too valuable of an opportunity. As Rosenthal points out, $12MM this offseason (Rios' approximate average salary) could have bought Bobby Abreu, Orlando Hudson, Russell Branyan, and Adam Everett, while leaving $800K to spare.
6:52pm: Mark Gonzales of The Chicago Tribune spoke to White Sox GM Kenny Williams, who abided by league rules stating he can't comment about specific players placed on waivers. He did offer up this, though:
"I’m not confirming or denying any interest or any claims or any thing, but if these things get out on a daily basis, boy, it’s going to be a heck of an August around here in terms of how many players you claim and how many you don’t claim. It will make your head spin if you follow each report. A lot of players getting claimed every day. Why is this a big deal?"
1:50pm: According to ESPN.com's Buster Olney, we should know by "early Tuesday afternoon" where Rios is headed.
SATURDAY, 1:34pm: MLB.com's Jordan Bastian asked Rios about the waiver claim before Saturday's tilt with the Orioles. It sounds like everyone is still in the dark. "I can't do anything," said the outfielder. "If I get traded, I get traded. I'm going to have to go wherever I get traded to, but I don't know. At this point I'm thinking that I'm staying here."
For what it's worth, Rios is 2-for-5 with two home runs and four RBI since the waiver claim was reported.
FRIDAY, 10:02pm: Olney is now reporting that the White Sox "are most likely the team awarded claim on Rios, but the Blue Jays have not confirmed it." The Sox face a mutual option on right fielder Jermaine Dye after the season, and could also consider using Rios in center field if they acquire him.
8:44pm: Geoff Baker of The Seattle Times reports that the Mariners did not put the claim in on Rios.
7:58pm: John Fay of The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that "someone high in the front office" confirms that the Reds did not claim Rios.
6:16pm: Henry Schulman of The SF Chronicle says that vice president of baseball operations Bobby Evans "hinted strongly" that the Giants are not the team that claimed Rios.
4:41pm: Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox didn't claim Rios, either.
4:39pm: Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears from a high-ranking Mets official that the Mets did not claim Rios. J.P. Ricciardi didn't get into specifics with MLB.com's Jordan Bastian and just said it's normal to place players on waivers.
2:52pm: ESPN.com's Buster Olney hears that Alex Rios has been claimed on waivers by an unknown team. The Blue Jays now have three choices:
- They can let the claiming team have Rios and the $60MM-plus remaining on his contract.
- They can pull him back from waivers and keep him.
- They can work out a deal with the claiming team.
One executive calls this an "incredible opportunity" for the Blue Jays to shed payroll.
Odds And Ends: Sano, Red Sox, Pedro
Another round of links for the afternoon…
- ESPN.com's Jorge Arangure Jr. says the Angels looked at Miguel Angel Sano, but aren't close to offering the Dominican shortstop prospect a deal.
- Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox signed Jason Thompson, their 11th round pick, for $300k. The team also appears to be on its way to signing 10th rounder Brandon Jacobs for second-round money.
- Ben Klayman of Reuters reports that at least a third of MLB teams will send out send out season ticket renewal offers earlier than usual to keep revenues flowing.
- As MLB.com's Todd Zolecki notes, Pedro Martinez will start for the Phillies Wednesday and bump Jamie Moyer to the bullpen.
Twins Release Mark Grudzielanek
The Twins released Mark Grudzielanek just weeks after signing the veteran middle infielder to a minor league deal, according to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Apparently Grudzielanek took the news like a pro.
Arroyo And Harang Clear Waivers
Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang cleared waivers, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Both pitchers have large contracts through 2010 and club options for 2011 with $2MM buyouts. Arroyo makes $9.5MM this year and $11MM next year; Harang makes $11MM this year, and $12.5MM next year. The Reds would likely have to take on salary in any trades involving the starters, who can now be traded to any team.
Arroyo, 32, has allowed 159 hits in 144.2 innings and a career-high homer rate has led to 25 longballs. He's struck out 82 and walked 55, so it's no surprise that teams were unwilling to pick up his contract.
Harang, 31, has struck out 132 and walked just 38, but he's been about as hittable and homer-prone as Arroyo.
Cristian Guzman Clears Waivers
3:01pm: MLB.com's Bill Ladson hears that the Nationals have no intention of trading Guzman to the Red Sox or any other team. In fact, Nick Cafardo's Boston Globe report upset the Nats and confused Guzman because it said the Red Sox claimed the shortstop on waivers.
1:08pm: Cristian Guzman cleared waivers and can now be traded to any club, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. The 31-year-old shortstop is hitting .317/.337/.437 , but the $8MM salary he makes this year and next seems to have prevented teams from claiming Guzman.
What To Expect Before The Signing Deadline
ESPN.com's Keith Law reminds us that the Reds seemed unlikely to sign Yonder Alonso until hours before the deadline to sign draft picks last summer. It shouldn't be any different this year; here are the details:
- We'll hear that teams aren't close to signing their picks, but that doesn't mean the two sides won't agree to last-minute deals.
- Don't expect Stephen Strasburg, Dustin Ackley or Donavan Tate (all Scott Boras clients) to sign much before next Monday at midnight.
- Law expects Strasburg to sign for about $18-20MM.
- The commissioner's office will try to limit the number of over-slot signings, but teams can offer whatever they like, so MLB's efforts to hold teams to recommended bonuses may be quixotic in the end.
Odds And Ends: Nats, Royals, Rios, Rays
More links to take a look at…
- The Nationals agreed to terms with five Dominican players, according to MLB.com's Bill Ladson.
- Bradford Doolittle of the Kansas City Star says Royals fans should hope the Nats don't sign Stephen Strasburg. If Washington can't strike a deal with Strasburg, he could become an option for the Royals in next year's draft.
- One executive believes the Jays should trade Alex Rios for a bag of balls, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com.
- Not a rumor, but I can't resist. Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that it's Shaq week in St. Louis as Albert Pujols prepares to take on Shaquille O'Neal for the big man's reality show.
- At SI.com, Jonah Keri says the Rays will be contenders going forward, even if they decide to trade multi-talented outfielder Carl Crawford this offseason.
How Much Should The Nats Offer Strasburg?
The Nationals have one week to sign top pick Stephen Strasburg. Widely considered one of the best college pitching prospects ever, Strasburg is in line for a record-setting bonus. Nats acting GM Mike Rizzo will negotiate with crafty agent Scott Boras, Strasburg's representative. The Nats don't have any long-term commitments other than Ryan Zimmerman's deal and they've only committed about $28MM to their 2010 payroll so far (though that figure will rise considerably because of the team's arbitration-eligible players).
