Let’s round up today’s linkage.
- No more long-term discussions with Oliver Perez and the Mets.
- Andruw Jones already wants to talk extension with the Dodgers.
- The Cardinals are not likely to make anymore acquisitions. In my view the team has question marks in right field, the middle infield, and the rotation. Here’s a look at their MLB.com depth chart. By the way, could Ryan Franklin be a league average starter? They could try it if the current options don’t pan out.
- Jim Salisbury thinks the Ryan Howard contract situation is a nonstory. I think this is partially because (and I hope this doesn’t sound condescending) most fans do not understand the arbitration process. Anyway Salisbury’s source says the Phillies would match Chase Utley’s seven-year, $85MM deal and might approach $100MM. He says Howard may want "significantly more."
- Ivan Rodriguez would like to play beyond the 2008 season and retire a Tiger. If the Tigers can’t find a taker for Brandon Inge this year, he could be their starting catcher in ’09.
- Carl Pavano doesn’t seem too popular in the Yankees’ clubhouse.
- J.P. Ricciardi does not plan to do an extension during the season with A.J. Burnett. I think Burnett will stay healthy enough to top the two years, $24MM he could get if he does not opt out.