Jon Heyman of SI.com provides a list of ten teams that could add payroll. He adds the Angels, Brewers, Red Sox and Brewers to the list we assembled last week. Here are his ten teams:
- The Red Sox could add payroll, but they don't have significant needs.
- The Mets could add payroll and they need a hitter who can play first, the outfield, or both.
- The Phillies could add payroll to acquire pitching.
- The Angels, with several contracts expiring this year (Vladimir Guerrero, John Lackey, Chone Figgins), could add salary.
- The Giants could take on payroll to add a bat.
- The Brewers and Cardinals could both free up money to add a pitcher or hitter.
- The Tigers, White Sox and Dodgers round out Heyman's list, but he warns us not to rule out the Yankees.
- Don't look for the White Sox to deal prospects away to increase their playoff chances, even though they trail the Tigers by just 5.0 games.
- On another note, no one's called the Mariners about Adrian Beltre.