Some links after an astounding debut from Stephen Strasburg…
- Brewers owner Mark Attanasio tells MLB.com's Adam McCalvy that the Brewers could hypothetically add payroll if the team starts contending soon.
- Jayson Werth had a team spokesman tell Todd Zolecki and Zach Schonbrun of MLB.com that his impending free agency isn't distracting him at the plate.
- Phillies manager Charlie Manuel thinks Werth is putting extra pressure on himself to play well in his contract year, according to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer (via Twitter).
- The Orioles will interview Bobby Valentine for their managerial opening, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. Andy MacPhail called former Indians manager Eric Wedge to gauge his interest in the position.
- David Weathers told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he would be willing to come back and pitch for the Reds. The 40-year-old righty pitched 62.0 innings of 3.92 ERA ball for the Reds and Brewers last year.
- MLB has accepted the Mets' decision to place Oliver Perez on the DL, reports Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
Yessssssss! Bobby Valentine please. Pleeeeeease
I think Jayson Werth is a johnny come lately riding a hot streak on a very good team with a good offense in a hitter’s park. He is no Holliday or Bay.
Well, yeah, that’s a straw man argument. No one worth listening to has called him a Holliday or Bay. I think it’s foolish to sign him long term. The Phillies will have gotten the best years of his career.
Many people have suggested that Werth’s next contract will be near or even above Bay’s, so that comparison has been made.
Did I just see Brewers and contending in the same sentence? Please MLBTradeRumors, please limit the BS.
Honestly I think that is a joke myself the Brewers are not contending this year. But to be honest with you they are simply reporting what is said so don’t bash the site for reporting news even if it is news that is unrealistic. This site just reports the news from sites all over and I have to say thank you instead of complaining about it.
I hope Valentine gets a managing gig. As a manager he’s very good and very entertaining. As a commentator, he… no.
Hey Mark Attanasio, if you add payroll now instead of waiting til the deadline the Brewers could start contending. If you wait until the deadline the Crew will be way too far out of the race. Spend some money on pitching and the NL’s 2nd rated offense will give you a chance to compete.
I used to be forced to watch brewers games a few years back cause I was a baseball fan that lived in Wisconsin now that I am in Indiana thank god.. I am no longer forced to watch them…..
After seeing a few of their games by my own choice.. I just do not see the heart in this team and they just don’t have the pitching talent to get anywhere fast. They would need to make a huge splash now on pitching and that is not going to happen.. Sorry Brew Crew enjoy your time in the bottom of the division.
Fire Jerry Manuel and sign Bobby V!!
Attanasio was in the Brewer’s broadcast box for an inning at last night’s game and said something to the effect of “we’ll see where we are in two weeks.”
Personally, I think the Crew’s hole is already pretty deep, and unless they add two quality SPs like…now…that the playoffs are a near impossibility.
Werth can’t play in any park but Citizens. His slump shows what he’ll really be like next year. Oh, unless its a park like Yankee Stadium.
Grab some pine, meat.
The brewers shoulda thought about increasing their payroll when they had C.C. After the trade he went 11 and 2 for them and now they have nothing pitching wise to show for it.