On this date in 2009, the Mariners welcomed Ken Griffey Jr. back to Seattle, signing him to a one-year deal. The Kid hit 19 homers in his age-39 season and re-signed with Seattle for one last season before the 2010 campaign. Last year went poorly for Junior, but he's back in Seattle as a consultant this year. Here are today's links…
- Francisco Liriano told La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune that he doesn't think his representatives had serious discussions with the Twins about a long-term deal during the offseason. (Twitter link).
- Vladimir Guerrero says he hasn't thought about retirement, according to MLB.com's Brittany Ghiroli (on Twitter). The Orioles finalized their deal with Vlad today.
- Brewers manager Ron Roenicke told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that he doesn't expect Prince Fielder's contract status to be "an issue" for the team this year (Twitter link). Prince hits free agency for the first time after the coming season.
- The Marlins released Jamie D'Antona, according to MLB.com's transactions page. They signed the third baseman last month after he spent two seasons in Japan. The 2003 second rounder clubbed 36 homers for the Yakult Swallows last year.
- Tim Dierkes ranks this year's crop of third basemen from a fantasy perspective at RotoAuthority.
Today Liriano is already complaining about a sore shoulder. Maybe that is why they were trying to trade him.
They’re saying it’s just tendonitis, but who knows.
D’Antona clubbed 36 homers over the course of his two years with Yakult. Last year he had 15.
Yeah. With the mighty Swallows.
So do the Swallows chug Yakult instead of Gatorade? And if so, do they make an inordinate number of in-game bathroom trips?
If Guerrero has three good, or four decent seasons, he could join the exclusive 3000 hit, 500 hr club to go along with an average well over .300 and 1700ish RBI. Keep it up, Vlad.
If Chipper Jones hits 64 HR, gets 510 hits, and steals 153 bases this year he’d join the exclusive club of 500 HR, 3,000 hits, and 300 SB to go along with an average over .300, and OBP of over .400, and a SLG of over .500.
Well I’d say it takes 3-4 more seasons for Jones to hit the home run and hits mark. And maybe another 50 seasons to hit the steal mark. Difference is Vlad has a shot.
Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Chipper will not stay healthy enough to hit those marks.
There’s a reason for that Liriano…
Vlad can retire next year