First Eric Hosmer, now Mike Moustakas. The Royals are calling up their other super-prospect according to Bob Dutton of The Kansas City Star (on Twitter), optioning Mike Aviles to Triple-A to make room on the roster. Moustakas hit .287/.347/.498 for Triple-A Omaha in 250 plate appearances, and congrats to him for reaching the show.
Here's the latest from around the league…
- Padres assistant GM Jason McLeod told Dan Hayes of The North County Times that first round pick Cory Spangenberg will be in San Diego tomorrow to take his physical, indicating that a deal is all but done (Twitter link).
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says that the Padres and Athletics are unlikely to start selling pieces anytime soon (Twitter link). The call-up of Anthony Rizzo and firing of Bob Geren gives both clubs a new look that they'll first take a chance with.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports says that Mets center fielder Carlos Beltran is willing to waive his no-trade clause to join a team with a chance at a championship.
- Although calls are being made for a fire sale, Gordon Wittenmyer of The Chicago Sun-Times says it won't be easy for the Cubs to move some of their bloated contracts.
- MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince explains why there is no quick fix for what ails the Twins.
- Big money contracts for relievers like Rafael Soriano, Pedro Feliciano, and Hisanori Takahashi haven't worked so far, and MLB.com's Tom Singer says that could change the way teams build bullpens in the future.
- The Diamondbacks have come to terms with 23 draft picks according to a team press release. The highest pick of the group is fourth rounder Evan Marshall.
- Derrick Goold of The St. Louis-Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals have inked tenth round pick Lance Jeffries (Twitter link).