Fifty years ago today, Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's single-season home run record by hitting his 61st of the season. Tracy Stallard of the Red Sox gave up the historic blast, a fourth inning solo shot. Three players (Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, and Sammy Sosa) have since hit more than 61 homers in a season, but Maris' 1961 total is still the AL record for home runs in a season.
Here is the best the baseball blogosphere had to offer during the final week of the 2011 regular season…
- Phoul Ballz interviewed Phillies reliever Justin DeFratus.
- Over The Monster mused about Terry Francona's departure from the Red Sox.
- Joe Blogs wrote about the madness of last Wednesday night.
- Call to the Pen looked at the Orioles' role in the Red Sox's collapse.
- Puckett's Pond put Twins GM Bill Smith on trial.
- Through The Fence Baseball penned an open letter to Marlins management.
- Blogging from the Bleachers expects there to be some rumors about Carlos Zambrano and the Marlins.
- Brotherly Glove recapped Cliff Lee's first full year with the Phillies.
- South Side Sox says Sergio Santos' contract extension is friendly for everyone involved.
- Cracked Bell Sports explains how releasing Danys Baez hurt the Phillies' bullpen.
- The Todd Van Poppel Rookie Card Retirement Plan says they don't want Hideki Matsui on the 2012 Athletics.
- Replacement Level Baseball looked at some of the Athletics' under-the-radar acquisitions.
- Rant Sports Indians explained how expanded playoffs would benefit the Indians.
- Yankees Fans Unite says the Yankees need a productive Alex Rodriguez in the playoffs.
- Bronx Baseball Daily explains why Bartolo Colon isn't the same anymore.
- BoSox injection praised the invaluable arm of Alfredo Aceves.
- Blog Red Machine wrote about the maturation of Jay Bruce.
- Rant Sports Mets wonders if Jose Reyes cost himself money in free agency.
- The Nats Blogs asks whose actions were worse: Reyes' or Adam Dunn's.
- The Beanball explains that spending money doesn't automatically lead to winning.
- Blogging Mets posted a 2011 report card for the Mets.
- We Should Be GMs handed out Phillies' team awards.
- Bleacher GM looked at the MVP and Cy Young races.
- Twin Cities Baseball tried to predict the next Hall of Fame class.
- The Hardball Times reviewed Moneyball.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.