It's a historic day for the Dodgers. Owner Frank McCourt, has agreed to sell the team. Here's the latest on the club's sale along with some updates on its roster:
- Red Sox chairman Tom Werner told Alex Speier of WEEI.com that he's "very happy in Boston," but didn't explicitly rule out bidding on the Dodgers.
- Peter O'Malley told Shaikin that he hopes to assemble a group of investors and buy the Dodgers. O'Malley, 73, has spoken with commissioner Bud Selig about his plans and isn't worried about coming up with investors. The O'Malley family owned the Dodgers for decades and moved the team from Brooklyn to L.A. in 1958.
- FOX is not interested in buying the Dodgers and neither is Athletics owner Lew Wolff, according to Bill Shaikin of the LA Times (Twitter links).
- Former Dodgers GM Fred Claire is involved in a group that's interested in buying the team, according to Shaikin.
- Steve Dilbeck of the Times examines potential buyers for the team in detail.
- MLB has agreed to speed up the sale of the team by pre-approving bidders, according to Shaikin (on Twitter). However, MLB won’t guarantee McCourt a minimum sale price.
- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban repeated to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that he's only interested in buying the Dodgers if they're available for less than $1 billion (Twitter link).
- The Dodgers announced that they added outfielders Alfredo Silverio and Scott Van Slyke to their 40-man roster. The move that will protect them from the Rule 5 draft.
- In case you missed it, Double-A right-hander Will Savage re-signed with the Dodgers on a minor league deal earlier today.
Selig will never let Cuban buy the team anyway. If MLB cared about the LA market they would let Cuban buy it for cheap. Dodgers will then have a stable ownership who can and is willing spend money to win.
When I win the Mega millions I’m going to head a group to buy. Anyone interested in joining?
If you’re buyin’!
Whatever keeps you from stalking me on Facebook!
lol more like the MEGA BILLIONS!!! HAHA
Will Savage… Truly shows that with impending ouster of McCourt, Dodgers are committed to something. And that should count for something. Spin that.
They have the Will, but do they have the Savage?
Just heard that Peter O’Malley has thrown himself into the mix…
La Times today
The former team owner has told Comissioner Bud Selig about his plans. He hopes to lead an investment group to buy the club and ‘reconnect the team and the community.’When he spoke out last fall, in urging owner Frank McCourt to sell the Dodgers, O’Malley said he had no interest in returning as owner or president of the team.McCourt agreed to sell on Tuesday, in an abrupt end to his two-year court fight to retain ownership of the Dodgers.”The health of the organization has deteriorated in the last 12 months,” O’Malley said. “The standing of the organization in the community has deteriorated.”I am confident I can restore it to respectability quicker, sooner and probably better than — or at least as well as — anyone else.”O’Malley, 73, called the revival of the Dodgers his top priority beyond his family and said he hoped to run the team for several years.”I think I’m in good health,” he said. “I believe I have the energy.”
Is it written somewhere that they can’t sell the naming rights to Dodger Stadium? I’m kind of surprised that McCourt didn’t try doing that.
(Not that I’m complaining…)
I wish that trend never started…..for ALL sports….
Man, if the O’Malley family came back… A Dodger fan’s dream
There’s no such thing as someone who is a Dodgers and Yankees fan, don’t try to convince me otherwise.
I honestly should put a disclaimer on my profile. I’m from NY, born and raised, and I moved to LA. Couldn’t watch yankee games in LA, missed the game, started to watch dodger games
At least the tenth time I’ve seen someone question you over this. It’s getting annoying for me, too!
and I’ve been posting here since 2008, imagine how many times i’ve been asked
Put O’Malley together with Claire, Garvey and Hersheiser and we are well on our way to reclaiming the warm fuzzy feeling that’s been missing for the last ten years.