The latest links from around MLB as rumors about Prince Fielder and the Nationals continue to swirl…
- Manny Ramirez told ESPN's Pedro Gomez that he can be a role model if an MLB team gives him a chance. "I want to show people that Manny can change, that he can do the right thing," Ramirez said.
- Colby Lewis told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he and the Rangers have had some talks about an extension (Twitter link). Lewis is set to hit free agency after the 2012 season, when he'll earn $3.25MM.
- Johnny Damon expressed some frustration with the Rays, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times. "It's an unhappy day,'' Damon said after hearing that Luke Scott had agreed to terms with Tampa Bay. "Didn't realize the DH and 1B brought the offense down [in 2011]. Thought we would've had an offer.''
- Renyel Pinto signed with the Softbank Hawks for $910K plus incentives, according to this Sponichi report relayed by Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker.
- More from Newman, who passes along another Sponichi report that has the Yomiuri Giants working on a deal with outfielder John Bowker. The Phillies granted Bowker his release earlier in the week.
Ah, Manny’s still referring to himself in third person, all is right in the world.
Did anyone else see him doing those pool exercises with the old ladies on ESPN? lol
Well, he did take drugs to produce estrogen…
That’s just Manny being Manuela…
Hey Johnny, Scott can play 1B. You might of still gotten an offer but now that you ran your mouth, you wont be getting one.
My beer league softball first baseman plays a better 1B then Luke Scott.
Scott is to dh. Playing off the bench is what Damon’s only option is now for the Rays.
Also can’t wait for Damon to proclaim what a dream it was of his to dawn the uniform of the next team he plays for
If he plays for the Os then he’ll have to play for the Jays to make it fair…every team in the AL East gets a turn with him.
He’s only in it for 3000 hits at this point. He’ll go to whoever will sign him. He was a nice player in his career, but in my opinion (read that, my opinion, so no need to put his stats side by side with guys who are in the HoF) he isn’t a hall of famer. Was NEVER the dominant player at his position at any point in his career.
Damon can thank his agent and his arm. Both are weak…
Otherwise.. Like was posted above.. Luke Scott represents and upgrade in power and can play a little 1B on top of corner OF, not to mention can throw the ball more than 20′.
“can play a little 1B on top of corner OF, not to mention can throw the ball more than 20”
I don’t think you’ve actually seen Luke Scott play.
Yeah.. He’s not the best OF I know, but Damon is not the outstanding defensive player he was either and suffers from vision problems on occasion to go along with that bad arm.
I like the possible power Scott brings to the Rays and the fact he KILLS Boston, saying that even though am a Red Sox fan.
as to the poster below.. Am well aware Damon is a Boras client. 🙂
Actually, Damon is a Boras client, if I recall correctly. Also, pretty sure Damon is still not too bad compared to Scott in the OF.
1. No one cares about manny anymore.
2. Its funny that Bowker could be on the “giants” again
3. Damon is acting like he just got dumped by his girlfriend
4. Who the heck is Renyel Pinto?
What Manny really means is:
“I want to show people that Manny can change, ” – I can be little annoying, annoying, very annoying or god-please-go-away annoying
“that he can do the right thing,” – I can but I don’t feel like it =)
“he can be a role model” – I can fit right in with some of the cocky rookies we have nowadays
Damon probably thought that it was going to be a matter of if the Rays would be willing to match his offer. Turns out he is the one who isn’t able to offer what the Rays wanted.
i just watched moneyball again …. go back to the A’s damon
I really hope the Texas re-signs Colby.
manny needs to get himself a contract to be a co-host of the view. add a little more estrogen to that show.
Damon throws like a girl! I honestly don’t know how he even gets the ball to the cut off man?
Damon throws like a girl! Really? Then in that case, you mix your Wheaties with your mama’s toe jam!
Who told you?!
Damon is a designated hitter, not a designated fielder.
Blue or CONKZILLA
Manny could start by not referring to himself in the 3rd person.
The A’s or Mets should take a chance on Manny. How worse can things get?
Damon talks and BS too much. I can’t take anything he says seriously.
Im calling it now…Manny signs with the Marlins to PH for a year to see if he can still hack it…just think
Would be SOOOO much Fun
Manny as a role model??? FRIGHTENING!!!!